28 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

The PIP forms arrived yesterday, so I'll note down any thoughts about them as I'm filling them in.

B, who the form is about, was dx-ed with Autism aged 2 and we're looking at 24/7 care for him in adult services when he's 19 or so. He's a special school student, so (in theory) this should be reasonably straightforward. He currently received Higher rate for care and mobility with his DLA.

I'm going to have a large drink, then sit down to it. Updates as I go...

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,913 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 09 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

The PIP forms for DS came at a really hectic time and we're duly filed in the tower of deal with it later paperwork. This resulted in us having an assessment visit from a truly insightful person who not only managed to allow DS to speak, but actually got answers from him to some of the questions. At the time we were still being told by school and LA that he was likely to to university so we were not looking for assisted living and the amount awarded seemed generous.

This may have to be reconsidered in light of placement failure and high anxiety, but we do at least have a good new social worker from adult services who is quickly learning how best to communicate with DS.
  • Miss Mac likes this

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:29 PM

We have had a lot of services users at work change over and for those with clear and obvious autism, associated challenging behaviours etc etc it has been very straight forward.

Referencing the forms seems to work well so on the, lets say going out and about questions, tick the right box, write a line with say a key point/s and then write "please see page 2 of care plan stating 1:1 at all times"

• caci likes this

#4 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:22 PM

Thanks Mozzy.
I have got the PIP form for DS and was wondering how to get all the information into the boxes provided. Key points and referencing the EHCP/other documents seems like a really good idea. Do you know if it is OK to type and print out the key points, cut the printed words out and glue the paper piece onto the form? Writing anything longer than a shopping list makes my hands hurt!

Why don't they give us an electronic version to complete, it would be so much easier!

#5 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:18 PM

I filled T's in - he moved over at 16 as we were one of the trial areas - tackled them like I did the DLA forms really, kept repeating the diagnosis and risks etc... Sent I. Lots of documents and told them to use all available paperwork from DLA.

We had to have the dreaded face to face interview - it was a pain getting it arranged as T has a dx of agoraphobia and I explained that I wouldn't be able to get him to a venue - and if I did wouldn't be able to get him out the car .... They said they would do a home visit ... Then they backtracked as paperwork shows a history of extreme challenging behaviour and their staff member would be at risk ! Eventually I managed to convince them that I would manage the behaviour if the visits was at home and the risks would be higher if we took him to a venue ... I had a name man to talk to in 'the visitor team' who was actually a nice enough bloke.

I was dreading the visit , T refused to get dressed - but the woman was a young OT who had worked in a special school with autistic children - she got it. T sat in the chair wrapped in a throw in his boxers refusing to speak , until she asked about him making his own meals when he shouted 'I'm not going in a f ing kitchen ' ... To be fair this probably all helped ! But basically she just went through the form and asked me questions as he wouldn't talk. It was OK.

He was awarded high rate for both ( mobility was helped by the fact he has to have insoles and has hyper mobility) which is the same he had for DLA .

It was less painful than I thought it would be .

We then had to have someone out again so I could sign to be his appointee - again complicated as T would never had agreed to this , but with a letter from the GP they came when he wasn't home and I signed.

You can also claim ESA at 18 - he didn't have to have a face to face for that and is in the support group meaning he doesn't have to go to job centre ... Word to the wise though if you claim ESA you must cancel any tax credits and child benefit - no one told me that so I now have to pay some back

#6 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

J's PIP form arrived while he was in hospital, I filled in as honestly as possible and included his statement ( out of date but as usual our LEA have not updated when they should) copies of OT and safety assessment, I also had copies of his care plan from the hospital , he did not have a face to face interview possibly because I requested that if they wished to do this they should clear it with the psychiatrist at the hospital due to his fragile state of mind.
When filling in I detailed the fact that he could not cook a meal without step by step instruction and that it was not safe for him to use knives unsupervised due to a history of self harming, he needed full time supervision and could self harm without warning.

He was awarded higher rate.

The worst thing about these forms is you actually see what your life is like - as Miss Mac says you need a glass of wine afterwards

#7 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 07:49 PM

Needless to say - I've not even started it yet. I can feel it lurking on my desk...  :sofa:

#8 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

OK, I've started. Doing all the factual stuff and the beginning is easy enough - except I've just remembered, his recent paed report hasn't arrived. And I need that because I can never remember all of his DX-es. We just say 'Autism' but there's a whole list of them - errr sleep disorder and dyspraxia... um..  :hmmm:

Meds are easy. Nothing other than calpol crosses his lips - and even then it's with a syringe!

#9 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

I think (despite the fact it's never ending) this is actually slightly easier to do than the DLA.

What happens if you go outside the box?

#10 Swan

Swan

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

I posted my DS's PIP form off last Monday. It's indefinite DLA to PIP, he will be 19 in June and goes to a special school.

I hope yours goes smoothly Miss Mac.

• Miss Mac likes this

#11 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

Well, it's gone. Just a waiting game now.

Knowing our luck we'll have to do a face to face interview, even though it should be blatantly obvious. All professionals working with him are keen to support, so it'll work out in the end, I guess.

#12 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

I would hope Miss Mac your case would be simple - if B gets called for interview I think it is silly!

#13 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

They've been on the phone to our SW already and he's backed up everything we've said.

Our SW has also passed on the name and phone number of the person who's dealing with the claim; the temptation to phone is HUGE. What would you all do? :)

#14 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Do you know if it was ATOS/Capita who rang the SW, or someone from DWP ?

As far as I can make out, the information is 'gathered' by a health professional from ATOS/Capita, either using paper based evidence or f2f, then this is passed to DWP for a decision to be made.

#15 lala39

lala39

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests:Staying awake

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:22 PM

ATOS are  doing Es, they wrote about 2/3 wks ago to say  they were writing for more information from the (many) professionals named on the forms..  Personally I find it galling that his new award was only November last year and was up to Nov 2019 and because he has had his 16th birthday it has to be changed, its not like his needs have changed just as he's had a birthday, but hey I suppose there has to be a line somewhere ..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users