66 replies to this topic

#31 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi Guys,

I've just had a message from a friend. Her 2 kids went to LegoLand and apparently they are in the middle of a massive wasp invasion right now. There are signs up, and they are giving away free insect-repellent. The kids actually witnessed a man being stretchered into an ambulance following a severe reaction to a sting.

I'm guessing this might alter the list of those who want to go - I know we'll be thinking twice. We don't have any allergies, but I'm not sure how pleasurable lunch there would be!!

K.x

#32 Jack'sMum

Jack'sMum

Grumpy Old Woman

• 24 Hour Party People
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts
  • Interests:Surviving to fight another day, with my make-up intact

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:20 AM

My niece took her 2 girls there yesterday and i havent heard any probs, so I will call her this morning and see.

I have looked at their website and nothing is on there, so I suggest that maybe we should contact Legoland to ask what their offical word is on this.

The local paper is out today and I will keep an eye on local websites to see if there will be a problem.

#33 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

Mmmm.... will be waiting to see if anybody hears anything about how bad this wasp invasion is but I think this time of year this probably happens quite a lot.

I 'think' we will probably be going ahead anyway and dh will hopefully be dropping us off quite early probably around 10am as we would need to leave around 4pm.

Whoops just posted but it aint here so I'll do it again!

I might give them a ring later and ask about the wasp invasion and how bad it is.

I 'think' we may just go ahead with the visit as we have tickets that we need to use before the end of November and James is really looking forward to it.

Dh will probably be dropping us off early around 10am (although not sure what time Legoland opens) as he will be picking us up early around 4pm as he has a gig later in the evening. Hopefully 6 hours should be long enough lol!

#34 Helenhugs

Helenhugs

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:12 PM

I'm going to have to say no :( hubby has booked in with his parents a visit to the seaside (as lovely as my in laws are a whole day with them is pretty horrendous). So maybe next time.
Hope the wasp invasion isn't as bad as it sounds & doesn't put too many people off.
Hugs

#35 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I've bought some insect repellent,so hopefully we'll be OK.xx

#36 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:51 PM

I've sent an email to Legoland so just waiting for a reply from them.

#37 Sparkles

Sparkles

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:44 PM

Hi all,
I wanted to reply to this as I have been to legoland today and I'm in a hotel as we speak drying off!!!
I really do not want to put a dampers on ur day out but the wasp invasion is horrendous. Apparently the forest next to legoland has had the trees cut down and was full of wasp nests, legoland is now full of them. It ruined our day really as my sons were distressed about them. We really didn't have one minute without wasps all over us.
Hope you don't think I'm trying to put you off. Just wanted you all to know to be prepared for your trip if you decide to go ahead.

Karenxx

#38 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Humm I am a severe sting allergy to wasps and bees. Humm

#39 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

Thanks Karen.

I think I'll have to back out too.

James would be very upset by any flying type insects and is terrified of wasps and I don't quite like them myself either!

#40 Jack'sMum

Jack'sMum

Grumpy Old Woman

• 24 Hour Party People
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 08:57 AM

I had noticed all the tree cutters in the woods (I live down the road) but had no idea that was the reason. I even went past the entrance yesterday and didnt notice anything.

I think that LegoLand is wrong in not informing people on the website. L is terrified of wasps, so if there is such a big problem there, I wont be able to take her.

ScouseMouse, did they reply to your email?

#41 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

Hi Jack's mum.

No I haven't had a reply yet. I think I sent it late Friday afternoon so probably won't get a response until next week.

I did ring them but not the actual site just customer services and they were just going on about 'the time of year' and making out it was just because of that and the sugary foods that are around making the situation worse.

I've been in situation like that before with invasions of wasps and it is really horrible. James can't stand anything like that even if one came near him he would get very upset.

#42 Jack'sMum

Jack'sMum

Grumpy Old Woman

• 24 Hour Party People
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,438 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:11 AM

I have found this on local website.........

This year Legoland have had a dramatic increase in the amount of Wasp nests found on site, the fact is you cannot escape them anywhere you go, they are there. Everywhere across the park are signs informing guests that they are trying to deal with the problem by setting traps, bringing in exterminators when the park is closed, emptying bins more reguarly and that if anyone within your party is stung to alert a member of staff to receive medical treatment.

Now its great these signs being all dotted around the park but they seem to be failing to address certain issues that seem to be attracting the wasps. Within the food areas guests food trays are left on tables instead of being instantly cleared away therefore attracting the wasps to the food areas. Also dotted all over the park are these nice bright pink round pots designed for guests to disgard their chewing gum, now these are great as there is no sticky gum on the floor for you to tread on but instead these are also attracting the wasps being sweet and sticky.

Legoland

#43 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Doesn't sound good does it!

#44 Mozzy

Mozzy

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 15 August 2010 - 10:08 AM

With a severe allergy to stings its looking like its not worth me risking it. If I were to get stung even with my Epi-Pens I would have to go to hospital as I am prone to long reactions requiring more than just an Epi-Pen or two. I will be contacting them next week.

#45 Mozzy

Mozzy

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 15 August 2010 - 01:06 PM

My PA just said this to me on FB

my mate was saying she went and it is like wasp city

she said she wud never go again

Not looking promising

Ok I phoned Lego Land and demanded to be put through to someone actually on site. This is what they said...

“to be quite honest its pretty bad”

“about 100 people are being treated daily for stings by the first aid team and other are self treating so its hard to know the exact amount of stings a day, some people inform us but a lot don’t. We have provided cream and sprays and increased our staffinf levels but it is still a major problem”

:(

If anyone else wants to phone this is the direct number to the guest services actually in the park...

01753 626319

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users