Photo

Sibling Of Asd Child, Can't Bear It

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mimbles

mimbles

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:All things sci-fi and science, special needs.

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:20 PM

Hi,
I haven't posted in a while, but nice to be back. My younger son is dyslexic, elder is asd and dyslexic. Younger one is struggling. With school, and it would appear increasingly with life. He presents as okay at school, but frequently shuts down at home, or gets angry about going to school.
He's frustrated with our life due to older brother being so insular and him being anxious about going out, unless it's a familiar safe place, so we dont go to many places. I can get younger ds to sporting activities but holidays don't happen. I have no close family, and few friends. I'm so down about the poor excuse for a life I'm able to offer him. It's c**p.
School are increasingly saying that they think he's just trying it on, that he's copying his older brothers behaviour. Actually, they both react very differently.
School are making some accommodations for younger ds but I don't think it's enough.His reading skills are finally coming on in leaps and bounds, but his spelling is on 2nd percentile, and remains about 3 years behind. Ed psych identified auditory processing difficulties.
Tonight, he wouldn't settle down unless I stayed in the room with him, getting more distressed about school, and saying he's looked at his life and its rubbish. (He did meet with a primary mental health worker today who did say she was going to ask some difficult questions).
I'm finding it hard to bear his distress. What can I do to help him?

#2 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

Yes, the sibling impact can be very hard. 

Younger DS should be supported as a 'young carer'.

Try looking for local 'Young Carers' support. Some areas have groups / activities / holidays for young people so they can meet others in the same boat. Some schools also have 'young carer' support.

Maybe your GP can help you access a break for the younger one.

#3 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 06 October 2016 - 07:02 AM

There's also a website www.sibs.org.uk which has some info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users