Autism Horizon

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

POPULAR

Apologies for late reply!

Thank you all for your talking about your experiences and sharing the strategies you use to feel better, it's really helpful for me, as one of the things that I try to do is teach the the kids to self regulate (as much as schools allow me to!).

Angelix: thank you for clarifying your 2 types of meltdowns, you explained them very clearly and it helps me to reflect on different ways to support kids deal with them. I know I can't stop them completely, getting angry is a natural thing! and yes, I sometimes lose it too... my husband could tell you all about it... 

Philosophy Mummy: no need to stress about diagnoses or labels, you are who you are with your own challenges and strengths. We all have them... try to focus on the strengths to overcome the challenges!!

Veronica

• xingdon6w2, ornaloacquino, kzeofjwt and 93 others like this

#47 Angelix

Angelix

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

My part 4 topic is going to be about Overloads/Meltdowns :) I am currently working on it now and I will make sure to say when I finish it :)!

• caci and Maryboo like this

#48 Angelix

Angelix

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

I posted Part 4, I hope someone can tell me if its ok? I really tried my best and I am still very nervous about it :) 

http://www.mattyange...-and-me-part-4/

#49 frantic-mum

frantic-mum

extremely frantic now

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • Interests:reading, looking for info on ASD, swimming with ds,

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:06 AM

Angelix, it is well written and easy to understand, don't worry you have made a good job of describing overloads/meltdowns.

#50 Angelix

Angelix

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

Angelix, it is well written and easy to understand, don't worry you have made a good job of describing overloads/meltdowns.

Thanks!!!! It sure took a lot of time, I used some of what we say here to help write it. It makes me feel less anxious that you said that!! Overloads/Meltdowns are such a hard thing to write about... cause if it doesn't make sense then it could make others misunderstand and that could be bad. 

#51 gingerpig

gingerpig

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's brilliant, thank you!
Would you think your Predictability overload are related to the informational ones? In that, with the informational ones, you need the process to happen unless you meltdown, and I'm wondering if the predictability is an example of this?

There is no wrong or right, you obviously write about what feels right for you.

#52 Angelix

Angelix

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

Well there are differences you see and this gets me a bit confused.

The informational ones... can be caused from things like exams, pressure of time, people saying things that really are not logical and do not make any sense

Where as the predictability ones really are related to being able to predict or work out what is about to happen then having it not go that way? If that makes sense.

I think they are related  :) Yet very different?? If that makes sense. I have thought about that a lot before I decided to separate them.

#53 gingerpig

gingerpig

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

I totally get you! Its always so interesting to discuss this stuff, especially because it helps all of us.

#54 Dizzie1

Dizzie1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Interests:Photograpy

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Thanks again Angelix for writing this.  It's been a good insight into understanding 'meltdowns', which often happens

with my son. 

I too go over conversations, in my head beforehand, to prepare myself for situations ahead.  This can be for

medical appointments, school meetings or even just a cup of tea with friends.  I struggle in social situations,

so I think it can help to do this.  However, like you have mentioned, this may cause anxiety, if things don't

go as expected.  ^_^

Edited by Dizzie1, 09 June 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users