#1 Apple

Apple

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:floristry and all things flowery

Posted 01 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hi, I havent been on here for quite some time as I seem to have such a busy life lately, anyway, was hoping someone has experience of adhd as I think my youngest might have this, he doesnt sleep very well, never goes to sleep before 12 or 1am, is hyper most of the time but especially at night, has delayed speech, still talks gibberish at 2 and a half, can say about 20 words, I cant get him to stop throwing everything everywhere and still draws on walls etc, omg he is hard work.  His older brother is on the spectrum so you would think Id know but I dont really want to look on the internet as I find it very confusing, too much info can be a bad thing sometimes

• Frillitle likes this

#2 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:22 AM

Hi Apple

I have 2 with ADHD, one also has ASD as well.
M (who has both) was my little Houdini, never slept at an appropriate time (still doesn't...goes to sleep at approx 4-5am is awake at 7), drew on the walls- in fact, I remember going to school one day, walked in his classroom and the teacher came up to me and said " go in the boys toilets and I'll give you a £1 if you can guess who did it" and ushered me towards the boys toilets...completely confused, I walked in and all round the 4 walls was train tracks with a train on them and at the very end, was M's signature LOL
Up until that day, he never drew a picture, but he always signed his name on the back of the piece of paper.
Thankfully teacher thought he was amazing, as up until then, we didn't know why he wouldn't draw pictures like the other children (course he was just diagnosed with ADHD back then, we didn't have any clues autism was involved). He didn't have a speech delay though, he was just incredibly picky about who he actually spoke to (which was our first sign that something else was going on other than adhd).

My other son, A, is strictly an ADHDer. So I kinda get great glimpses into both sides of their worlds (also have C & J who have asd too).

You're so right about too much info can also be a bad thing, as you find yourself questioning everything they do.
My advice is, ask for a referral to see a community paed ASAP hun, for your youngest. Let the paed figure it out hun.
Is he due to start nursery soon? Or is already in one? I ask because the sooner the Early Intervention team are involved, the better as they can help nursery get extra funding for 1:1 if it's needed.

Please feel free to PM me if I can help further xxxx

#3 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hi there Apple :)

Like Snicks said you're best asking for a referral.

I was absolutely convinced at one time that LE had ADHD. He never seemed to sleep and was constantly on the move I know what you mean about it being exhausting I'll never forget it!

He did have an ADHD assessment but it was found he did not have it. I realised over time that he did not have it and It was actually his autism and sensory/processing issues that was causing the problem.

I also noticed when he gained more language and started mainstream school this also seemed to calm him a bit. Probably because it's much more structured than Preschool is.

#4 Apple

Apple

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

thanks for your replies, he has been referred so Im not going to fret over it anymore at the moment.  My other son (i have 4!) has also been referred and has his ados in a couple of weeks so will concentrate on that atm........... it doesnt rain it pours :(

#5 Apple

Apple

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Welllllllllllllll, a year on and Im still none the wiser lol!  We do have a diagnosis for Max who is not the son I think has ADHD, Max has a speech disorder but they havent specifically said what type just that it is a disorder and not a delay.  My older son is on the spectrum but Davey who is the youngest and the hyper one is just back from being assesed and they said that he is still developing and want to see him again in 6 months, he is 3 at the moment.  He says the odd word but not much, his eye contact is good, he has empathy and wants comforted when hurt, his favourite thing to do is watch specific films.... wreck it ralph, dispicable me, peter pan, the croods, toy story, frozen.  He can ask for which film he wants but doesnt pronounce it correctly and unless you knew him well you would not understand what he says.  He seems to understand language better than he can use it.  He knows every film off by heart and does all the actions to them and jumps about and is very animated copying every movement they make which he knows off by heart, he also copies their tone of voice but not specific words.  I have no idea if he has autism or some other condition, He says bye bye and sorry spontaiously but not much else, we still cant get him to sleep in his own bed and he seems the most hyper when he is trying to get to sleep, at least now he is not hurting me like he was before, seems to have realised that jumping on someones head does hurt and instead he gets out the bed and walks round to the other side and gets in then a minute later he gets out again and walks to the other side and gets in, does this about 10 times a night before he can settle, I am at the stage where I sleep in the middle and let him walk back and forward.  He is still not toilet trained and refuses to even consider using a toilet or potty, he is 4 in October.  Has anyone any thoughts, I would be interested to hear them, thanks for listening to my babble, I needed to get that off me chest :)

#6 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

Hi Apple, your son sounds so much like my LE at that age.

He was EXTREMELY hyper. I have never come across a child who was like him. He too did not understand about hurting people. He was always hurting other children at Preschool not because he was aggressive but because of lack of understanding.

For instance he loved climbing and would climb up onto a high shelf and just jump down not looking who was below him. He would stand on others feet as he was in a little world of his own and didn't notice them, he even once banged a car on top of another child's head over and over again. To him this was just another surface like a table!

He slept badly for the first 5 years and it wasn't until he started mainstream that he was worn out enough to actually have what resembled a proper night's sleep.

I was told by a Paed that sometimes the connections within the brain and not fully complete and this happens much later on. This can cause hyperactivity and this is why they like to wait until the child develops fully. I think I agree with this.

It's strange to note that LE was never diagnosed with ADHD but was very recently diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive which I guess is ADD. His difficulties now are that he finds it difficult to concentrate for long periods of time, gets very tired and 'zones out'.

#7 Apple

Apple

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

thanks for your reply Eggman, it has been helpful :) , I think I was feeling a bit frustrated at the time of writing my last post because once it gets to the assessment stage you kind of want to hear something from the professionals other than come back in 6 months iykwim .  I took him and his brothers to easter club last week at the church and my other 2 were pretty good but my youngest just wasnt able to sit still for a minute, there was a little girl about 5 who kept staring at him and she kind of looked a bit scared of him and it really made my heart sink as I think we are getting to the age now where his differences are becoming more noticable especially when he is doing a load of bizarre rapid hand movements when everyone else is trying to listen to a bible story lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users