61 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Thank you SO much for all the offers to help with the new upgrade. A big "Yes, please," from me and I'll be in touch once the pages start being put together by our web designer at some point after new year.

As far as this thread goes - what does ASDf mean to you? How did you end up here? Why do you stay? How have people here helped? Any thoughts about the place that you want to give us?

Ultimately, posts in this thread will go in a carousel of quotes on the front page of the site. So - what do you think about ASDf?
  • lozyoragoky likes this

#2 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

To me ASDf means being understood and heard, even in your darkest hour. You can come here, off load, feel like you're ranting and alone. Then 5 minutes later you have replies pouring in from members that have been there, got through it and are willing to stand with you now it's your turn. :D
  • catiammatos likes this

#3 bobosmum

bobosmum

bobosmum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:59 PM

ASDf to me is an place I can come when things seem grim and get a laugh at some of the antics, cry if I need to and just get some damn good advice which I found was in short supply before.

Thank you ASDf
keep up the good work
x

#4 Yes its political

Yes its political

From the Miami Precinct

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Interests:All things CSI, Especially Horatio! Enjoy watching Big Bang Theory. Card making (when I get the time) reading and taking college courses when time allows.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

In my darkest hours you were all there. In my happy times you are all there. For advice and smiles you are all there.
I hope for a long time to come you are all there.

Thank you everyone on ASDF who has helped me, made me laugh and laughed at me (I hope)

xx

#5 lala39

lala39

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests:Staying awake

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

I don't know where to start. The support and information (specially the support) I have received from here in the last year since I joined is unbelievable, I could never thank everyone enough! The friends I have made virtual, real and facebook farm nuts, lovely, lovely people.
The lovelies in the chat room (x), the insight from both NT and those on the spectrum, I have learnt so much.
My boy has met a friend through here, and that is something he hasn't had before, someone to share interests with!
I can talk poo and pokemon and no one thinks I'm weird (well they haven't said it to my face anyway).
We have been on holiday with another ASDF family, and we were all positively 'normal', not judged or judging.

I come here every day, it feels like a safe place, to rant and celebrate!

Thankyou ASDF ers, I loves you all very much, you keep me sane x

#6 BeautifulSpectrum

BeautifulSpectrum

"Bright Eyes"

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Location:High, lonely hills, where the wind and the sound carry
  • Interests:All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

Asdf was a light in dark times and still is. I found it while searching the net for answers to why my daughter was not progressing. My first post was replied by some really lovely and friendly people. I been here 2 and a half years and have met some wonderful people and brilliant friends in similar situations.

Couldnt be without it!!

Thank you asdf xx

#7 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Safety, Friendship, Support, The best friends I could have ever hoped for.

#8 Tatty

Tatty

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,937 posts
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

More than I can say.............

:hugs2:

Tatty x

#9 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

I joined ASDf just under a year ago now and I can honestly say with my hand on my heart, it has been the BEST year since any of my boys were diagnosed. To be able to talk to friends and not be judged, to be able to say whatever and they're not shocked (I have shocked alot of people over the years and it sort of stops you saying what you need to, to vent)!!!! I had noone, no support network, no family to talk to because, well they judged my parenting skills :rolleyes: It was never about what happend or what they did, or which department denied us services...it was always turned to be my fault, that is a heavy burden to carry for anyone.
I came looking for somewhere like ASDf for all those reasons but I really wanted to help other families not go through what I did with my aspergers son and to talk to other families who had experiences, what to do, what to avoid, not to take this that or the other with my youngest autistic son. And to be there for others when they feel battered and flung through the wringer.
I have made some really special unique friends and I can't imagine a day without them now. They make me laugh so much with a few words, or cry when things get really bad and I just want to run to them and just give them a cuddle.

Because of ASDf, I don't feel alone anymore. Posted Image
  • MAA2G likes this

#10 Glass Half Full

Glass Half Full

AKA Half Pint!!!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

A - AVAILABLE, no matter what the time of day or night

S - SUPPORTIVE, through all our darkest moments, ASDf is always there

D - DEVOTED to all it's members

F - FRIENDLY, does what it says on the tin
  • Mozzy and sonia07 like this

#11 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

Being the parent of an Autistic child can be a very isolating experience.

Since joining this site I don't feel so alone any more.

Thank you so much ASDf xxxx

#12 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

A - AVAILABLE, no matter what the time of day or night

S - SUPPORTIVE, through all our darkest moments, ASDf is always there

D - DEVOTED to all it's members

F - FRIENDLY, does what it says on the tin

I love that. Sums it all up :excellent

#13 weller23

weller23

Mrs Geldof-Weller-Reeves

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

being on here helps me feel my life is "normal" and has helped my relationship with my son,as i understand him better.no one ever laughs at you on here,unless you have posted a very funny joke.it also ensures that our children get the very best out of life with education etc as a lot of leas are reliant on parents being ill informed.

Edited by weller23, 05 December 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#14 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

I have only been on here since May of this year.

I stumbled across this site by accident, i was asked by one of the mums at littluns playschool if anyone had mentioned Autism re littlun being the way that he is.

I came home and googled it, read the traits and cried my eyes out.

Saw the pead about a fortnight later and it was mentioned and was told about test etc but nothing to explain how it all happens etc.

Clicked on a google engine and was looking around and i saw a link for here, it was the best thing that i have ever done.

I found out more in 24 hours on here about what to expect etc and stratagies for things i was struggling with, than from anyone i ever spoke too.

We pick eachother up in the bad dark times, and we share in the good, thats what we are about and i wouldnt change a thing.

I only got my dx a few weeks ago and when i posted it on here within 10 minutes i had replies and some lovely personal pms which i have kept on my file and will never get rid of.

ASDF is my lifeline and its where my friends are.

#15 Serenity2

Serenity2

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Sunshine on a rainy day.:)
A soft place to fall when I was formally diagnosed ASD.
Reading others trouble is like a light bulb going off in my memory :-). That is me when I was growing up. Or that is my son too.
I changed my name from Hallyscomet to Serenity because the lovely people here helped me accept who I am.

A group of mentors friends and parents all experiencing the journey of ASD none exactly the same but in agreement it is the one place all the barriers we put up come down. As you feel heard.

Answers to my disability relief peace hope acceptance of what is. Support.

Hally x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users