32 replies to this topic

#16 Philosophy Mummy

Philosophy Mummy

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't have a twitter account. One social networking site (FB) is more than enough for a technophobe like me!

I don't really understand what 'retweeting' is all about but am I right in thinking that a post from ASDf which appears on the twitter feed can then be fed on and on and on to recipients who, under normal circumstances, wouldn't be searching out that sort of information for themselves in the first place? Does that question even make sense?

I'm not making any particular point about it. I'm just asking because I don't really understand how it works.

• xBudfyd67 likes this

#17 Maryboo

Maryboo

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

No posts from here appear on Twitter. Just a link to a new thread. All that could be retweeted would be the link. Your posts/forum name are not directly posted on Twitter.

#18 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I dont use Twitter because my account got hacked a few times (ever with the most stupid complex passwords).

Like HEW I dont merge my ASDF and FB status's and I would have liked a option for Twitter but either way it wont stop me using ASDF.

I understand anyone can find anything I post and so on and I am all for promoting ASDF but I do wish we could have an on / off switch but thats just me not liking Twitter :)

• Eggman likes this

#19 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:35 PM

This thread is a good example to use.

When the OP was posted by Bart, a Tweet went out with the title, "Twitter" and a link to the discussion.

That was it. Nothing else. Not the names of the person making the OP, or the names of any other contributors.

Meanwhile, several times a day, Google takes every scrap of information from every post and who posted it.

The Twitter posts are only read by subscribers to the ASDf Twitter feed; what Google picks up in its trawls is available to EVERYONE.

If you have a problem with anything going out on Twitter, then you really need to be made aware that Twitter is a tiny fraction of the current audience reading ASDf on a regular basis.

#20 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:37 PM

Maryboo - when I click on the twitter link  - it brings up the actual post, with everyone's posts in the whole thread

Usernames and everything, just one click from twitter brings up the whole thing 
HUW x

Edited by Huwbert, 01 April 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#21 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Maryboo - when I click on the twitter link  - it brings up the actual post, with everyone's posts in the whole thread
Usernames and everything, just one click from twitter brings up the whole thing 
HUW x

Yes, that's how it works.

The same happens when someone uses Google, or clicks on links in their emails when they have subscribed to the forum, or gets a link from an RSS feed.

It brings you here.

The content isn't "on Twitter." All Twitter has is a link to here.

#22 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I don't mind the google 'big brother' stuff!
I've long accepted it !  And I enjoy being online  - stalked or not!   But with other email links and searches etc , you have to at least type in keywords, so be slightly more interested in ASD stuff to follow the links and internet 'stalk' usernames etc.

Albeit tiny, I do mind the twitter links, mainly because you don't necessarily need any interest in typing in 'autism' or any such related search.  Any random just follows any random, and that's the fun of it.

I'd love it if ASDF just posted general tweets, with links to the front page of the website , but as a personal choice I would always  prefer that any new thread that I posedt on the forum did not come up as a direct  link on  twitter, as part and parcel of the forum.

I understand that this is part of the forum , but it has always been inactive so I didn't mind up to now.
Now that it is definitely part of the forum , it's not my preference and so I shall bow out .  

Good luck, though, reaching lots of people.

I have always been very grateful to find this site.

I found it from your article in NAS magazine by the way 

HUW x

• lala39 likes this

#23 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I don't understand.

You have no problem with tens of thousands of people getting daily email alerts and RSS feeds, even more looking us up on Google...

...but you have a problem with 311 Twitter subscribers?

but as a personal choice I would always  prefer that any new thread that I posedt on the forum did not come up as a direct  link on  twitter, as part and parcel of the forum.I understand that this is part of the forum , but it has always been inactive so I didn't mind up to now.Now that it is definitely part of the forum , it's not my preference and so I shall bow out .

The Twitter link was active for about a year after you joined.
  • Huwbert likes this

#24 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Yes, that's right..

I'm sorry that you don't understand,  That's such a shame,   It's not about internet privacy for me, it's the automatic sharing on a different social network medium,

It's not the numbers of potential internet stalkers that I don't like, it's the format.  I personally would prefer that the forum threads did not automatically link to Twitter.   If I wanted to post directly on Twitter , I would.   I prefer not to.  I love the 'forum' format.  I'm well aware how open it is, whenever I post on the forum .    I just like the medium.  I chose to use that medium because I find it user friendly and to my taste,

I accept that it's part and parcel of the forum to now automatically upload the thread heads to Twitter, and I do not wish this, so I accept that I mutt therefore leave .

It's not about privacy, who has that online?  It's about posting a link on 2 mediums at the same time that I do not prefer.
HUW x

#25 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

If it's a big deal - and I'm stunned if it is - we can disconnect it. BUT we need a volunteer to take over the Twitter feed and post updates roughly 4 times a day.

I'm currently working 15 hours a day, so it can't be me. Open to volunteers, please :)

#26 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

It's not about privacy, who has that online?  It's about posting a link on 2 mediums at the same time that I do not prefer.
HUW x

Can I suggest a compromise?

If I give you the Twitter account password, can you take the job on?
  • Huwbert likes this

#27 maximus prime

maximus prime

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

JR if no one else volunteers and you explain in words of one syllable what needs doing (I'm pretty dim when it comes to social media) then I will give it a go.
  • Jolly Roger and Huwbert like this

#28 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Huwbert has first refusal - I would love her to do it, but if not, you're up!
  • maximus prime and Huwbert like this

#29 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

- we can disconnect it. BUT we need a volunteer to take over the Twitter feed and post updates roughly 4 times a day.

Or 4 volunteers to do it once a day.

Count me in so long as you don't get too cross if I forget occassionally

• maximus prime and Huwbert like this

#30 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Aw yes - I'd love that  - if we could post ad lib on twitter, as and when we wanted to, just to get the word out 

What a lovely use of the medium

thanks you 2  - what a great idea  - you really are amazing to find the middle ground x

Well done you xx

I'd post regularly!    
Thanks 
HUW x

• imperfect parent and Dizzie1 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users