60 replies to this topic

#31 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:16 AM

Sorry - very guilty of the long post thing (don''t know when to shut up!) I will try to keep it less complicated in future!

Nooo - dont change your posts! It may alter the humour!.....
  • xBudfyd67 and Scenepede like this

#32 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

I don't think it's so much long posts, but long posts without spacing and paragraphing.

It's hard to keep a track of which line your on in non paragraphed posts, it sort of becomes a daunting tasks of picking through a black blob/brick, iykwim. :)

#33 Busyknitter

Busyknitter

Surprisingly young and trendy

• Admin
  • 7,045 posts
  • Interests:I like: music (all kinds), singing (mainly hardcore choral SATB stuff), knitting, The Bible, apples, extremely long novels from the nineteenth century, Farscape. I don't like: being tired, cycling on ice, skipping meals, feeling patronised as a "special needs" mum, liver.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

Lack of punctuation also makes a long post very difficult to read, at least I find it a struggle.

But please don't junk the humour. :unsure:

#34 littlekipper

littlekipper

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

My spelling and grammar is not good but I have found everyone gets their own message across in their own little ways. We are all very individual thankfully. We also don't want to appear patronising in any way to anyone that is autistic.
English teachers as with any teachers are not always necessarily perfect at their profession. School moderators, I am sure would have a thing or two to say about this.

#35 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

Personally I have never found anyone to be patronising and am really thankful when people take time to post with spaces and braking down things in to managable chuncks avoiding text speak. It makes things so much easier for me.

#36 Lux

Lux

Wanted by the police in three counties

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:10 PM

At the mention of paragraphs, my teacher head is on! A simple guide to paragraphing is to remember TIP TOP

Make a new paragraph by pressing return twice at the following times:

Change of-
  • time
  • place
  • topic
  • person

Gosh I hate myself already for this post LOL. My poor OH- it must be hell living with a teacher

Edited by Lux, 19 March 2009 - 05:10 PM.

#37 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:44 AM

My spelling and grammar is not good but I have found everyone gets their own message across in their own little ways. We are all very individual thankfully. We also don't want to appear patronising in any way to anyone that is autistic.

Yes, but nor do we want to make other people struggle to read our posts and have to try three, four, five times to make out roughly what it's going on about. That's not fair on the person reading.

I don't think using clear standard English is patronising. I think it's a basic courtesy towards the people you want to read your posts.

I'm not talking about misspellings, by the way - I'm talking about 20 lines of solid text with no full stops or capital letters, full of text abbreviations. No one can interpret it without a lot of time and effort and most people would give up on it because they can't get it to make any sense.

Thankfully people generally try really hard here.

P.S Lux is right about paragraphing, but on a forum you might want to break things up every 3 -5 lines or so regardless.

#38 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I'm in complete agreement with Miss Mac here.

I freely admit that I will be much less likely to read a post that has little or no punctuation and uses text-speak.

By the time I do get on here, I'm usually quite tired from the day (not today, but usually), and either don't have the time to spend working out the post's meaning, or am too 'foggy' to figure it out.

#39 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

The way things are written are quite important to me because I can and do sturggle to read, especially text talk.

I admit I am not the best speller in the world but I try my best and I think thats all anyone can do.

But to give you an example, if I don't understand a post or its all bunched together and hard to read I copy and paste it to a symbols program. Symbols programs don't understand text talk.

#40 Léo's mum

Léo's mum

Give me a break!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

I have to admit that I do not read posts that have no punctuation or space between paragraph.
They look really daunting and I would need to read them aloud to understand.
Maybe it's because I am French...

#41 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I have to agree too. I find it very difficult to read a huge block of text.

#42 Gailed

Gailed

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:pets, animals, gardening, reading, my computer, chatting, doing easy crosswords, watching the birds in my garden.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

Right I am having big trouble with this. I have just done a post about 4 lines long and i pressed the space bar to leave a gap between the lines but then after I posted it and viewed it all 4 lines were close together. HELP!. Where am I going wrong.

#43 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

If you want to paragraph text or leave a clear line between two sentences, use the return key, the key with an arrow pointing left, it's the biggest key on your key board to the right. Spaces will not show up as clear lines as they cancel out.

I think this site is using a tool that clears out any spacing over a certain amount, I use 1 space after a comma and 2 after a full stop, anymore and the site doesn't use them/show them, iykwim.

Hope this helps.

#44 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

Sounds like you are only pressing the return (enter) key once instead of twice. If you press the return key twice that will leave one clear space between paragraphs. Hope that helps.

Debbie

#45 Gailed

Gailed

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:pets, animals, gardening, reading, my computer, chatting, doing easy crosswords, watching the birds in my garden.

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:17 PM

Myangeland2girls and Scousemouse. Thankyou. With both your help i have managed to do a post with more than 4 lines and lots of gaps. Cheers. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users