• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

Not to be Trusted...

• Admin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

The ASDF Twitter feed has been inactive for a few years, but I spent a little time this afternoon getting it back up and running again.

Head on over and follow (@asdfriendly) and links to new forum threads will automatically appear in your twitter stream. 

• Jolly Roger, Snickas and pypeexcussy like this

#2 lala39

lala39

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts
  • Interests:Staying awake

Posted 01 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

Is there an opt out? Where the thread doesnt get posted to Twitter ?

• Dobbie Loves Socks likes this

#3 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

No - because everything on ASDf is public domain anyway.

#4 Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobby Loves Socks

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts
  • Interests:Cupboards & wardrobes, pairing up socks and ironing.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I know I post on the forum and it's in the public domain but I choose to do this.

I don't choose to show my posts on Twitter and I feel I have to make the decision not to post here anymore.

Sorry.

• lala39 likes this

#5 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

It's only the thread titles, not the threads themselves. It is there to let people on Twitter know that there is an autism forum at ASDf.

#6 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

Dobby - the Twitter feed was active for over a year after you joined ASDf. Has something changed between then and now?

Clearly no one wants to upset anyone, but it's just a few random thread titles a day. They're linked to the front page of the site as well.

#7 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

The mailing list from ASDf giving people a daily digest of new forum posts has over ten thousand members.

We have no way of knowing how many RSS subscriptions hit the site, because that isn't counted, but it is in the tens of thousands per day. We know that from the amount of Internet traffic the host reports.

The Twitter account has just 311 subscribers.

#8 Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobby Loves Socks

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Miss Mac, had I been aware of that I wouldn't have joined!

I'd like to have the choice of who sees what I post....I know it's public domain but Twitter is accessed more by random people that ASDf probably is.

After the recent issue where I had a FB comment reported to the HT of my sons school, I am very wary as to who may be reading my posts/comments. I even altered my signature to show less info.

JR - guess I'll just have to de-activate my account then.

• lala39 likes this

#9 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

You'll need to keep off the internet altogether Dobbie. I don't know of a website where RSS feeds don't happen, or where posts can't be linked to on other sites. You'd be amazed at what you can pick up and follow in feeds from a whole variety of sites. The only part of this site we've boxed off is the private forum - see me, not my illness. It was important to have that space. ASDf is considerably safer than FB as you can anonymise what is posted - and that's something we've always recommended.

Back in 2008-9 your T&C when you joined did mention the Twitter feed - that's been off more recently as it's been inactive. It was explicit, and you can't blame anyone else if you didn't read them.

I have no strong feelings over the Twitter account, but I'd be very glad to have your input on how ASDf can have a voice in the wider autism world if you dislike this one so much.

#10 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Seriously, Dobbie, if that's the issue then the Twitter feed is the safest place for your comments!

Facebook is read by your friends.

I would be genuinely sorry to see anyone leave over this but...

ASDf provides significant support to a lot of people. Just look at the membership count to see how many.

If we turned off all the publicity now, then we would effectively be telling all potential future membership that they are not welcome.

I'm not prepared to do that.

Everyone knows that ASDf is a public domain discussion forum, and that ten years of conversations can be searched in microseconds using Google.

#11 Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobbie Loves Socks

Dobby Loves Socks

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,091 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

You'll need to keep off the internet altogether Dobbie. I don't know of a website where RSS feeds don't happen, or where posts can't be linked to on other sites. You'd be amazed at what you can pick up and follow in feeds from a whole variety of sites. The only part of this site we've boxed off is the private forum - see me, not my illness. It was important to have that space. ASDf is considerably safer than FB as you can anonymise what is posted - and that's something we've always recommended.

Back in 2008-9 your T&C when you joined did mention the Twitter feed - that's been off more recently as it's been inactive. It was explicit, and you can't blame anyone else if you didn't read them.

I have no strong feelings over the Twitter account, but I'd be very glad to have your input on how ASDf can have a voice in the wider autism world if you dislike this one so much.

Miss Mac, I didn't say it was anyone's fault.

JR - I'm not asking you to 'turn off the publicity'.

My FB account is locked down (and I only have 50 or so friends) and I know who it was who 'leaked' my comment to school.

I also know how the whole internet 'thing' works.

I suppose it's a realisation, after recent events, that anyone who wants to see the info I've posted ANYWHERE online, can do so and that's scary.

As a person with Aspergers, I have these moments and it's obviously something I will have to work through and accept - or not.

#12 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

a few random thread titles a day. They're linked to the front page of the site as well.

The twitter links go straight to the actual post when I try it - is that because I am a member of both?

HUW x

#13 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

The alternative is for someone to spend a couple of hours every day writing a daily digest for the mailing list & RSS, cross-referencing it against people who have specifically asked to be excluded.

And then we would have to find a way to block their posts (but no-one else's) from non-members and search engine bots.

But whole point of ten years of ASDf conversations being in the public domain is so that people looking for help can find it.

If you Google the word "autism" and any common problem associated with it, ASDf appears on the first page. That's how people find us.

#14 Maryboo

Maryboo

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:50 PM

Whenever I post anything on the internet I'm aware that there is no such thing as 'private'. I've learnt the hard way - once there were quite nasty consequences over something I wrote in a private email which one of the recipients decided to share but without the context of the email. I'm much more guarded about what I say as I don't feel I can fully trust anyone anymore.

This forum is public though, so I would be doubly careful about the information I give out. For instance, I was reading all the public posts for several weeks before joining and posting myself. I reached here after a recommendation for a friend but I'm sure there are plenty of people who happen across the site in other ways. And isn't that what the site is all about? The Twitter feed will be another way to reach out to people who perhaps are also struggling and would benefit from the support and information here.

• Jolly Roger likes this

#15 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Seriously, Dobbie, if that's the issue then the Twitter feed is the safest place for your comments!

Facebook is read by your friends.

I would be genuinely sorry to see anyone leave over this but...

ASDf provides significant support to a lot of people. Just look at the membership count to see how many.

If we turned off all the publicity now, then we would effectively be telling all potential future membership that they are not welcome.

I'm not prepared to do that.

Everyone knows that ASDf is a public domain discussion forum, and that ten years of conversations can be searched in microseconds using Google.

I have always agreed to posting on the forum in the full knowledge that it is full public and 'searchable' across the internet.  I fully signed up to the T&Cs
I also love FB!
There's much about me out there which is fully accessible to anyone!

I like that the 'see me not my illness' is slightly more private!

But I choose not publish by ASDF statuses on FB , and I choose not to publish my ASDF threads directly onto Twitter, which I'm thinking that means that I must choose not to ever  start a thread  now ?  Is that right?  

I really am in favour of publicity and getting the ASDF word out there - thank God for it I say.   
It's just my personal choice against Twitter.    I use twitter differently, more personally !   And I wish the twitter account wasn't a direct link to threads, but more about general comments, with links only to the front page, that other tweeters could just comment on.

HUW x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users