RoosMummy

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Staying sane!

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

My DS is 5 and has a recent Aspergers diagnosis. About six months ago a speech and language therapist commented on him growling, something I had not noticed until then. Since her mentioning it I can't help noticing it and it is driving me mad!!!!! It is now developing into something more between a growl and the type of hiss that a cat makes and sounds dreadful. My question is whether I should be trying to stop him doing it or whether I need to get over myself and just accept that this is normal. If it is the latter can anyone explain why growling and hissing is prevalent in ASD kids...if nothing else some insight may make me more tolerant. Sorry if I sound a real whinge...I am normally very understanding of his quirky ways but for some reason this one really gets under my skin.

Thanks
L x

#2 sunflower1

sunflower1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:16 PM

My son who has AS has always growled and hissed when he is angry/annoyed/frustrated - actually I don'talways mind it as it is early warning system for that he may blow at any minute because he can't cope or something is going wrong for him. There are times when he hasn't done it at all and others when he resorts to it a lot. it is a kind of non verbal communication reflecting his emotions (because he struggles to understand, label and described them). These days (he is almost 12) he has a very wide vocabularly and better pragmatic understanding so I try and model some better expressions for him - for example - I tell him: 'If you can't make [whatever it is] work, tell me 'mum I can't make ...work'. Don't growl and hiss because I don't understand what is wrong and therefore I can't help you.' So I essential appeal to his logic (always a good idea with AS kids!) It seems to be working (slowly). I do think they get in habit to so it is up to us to help them break them (easier said than done).

#3 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

Tamora

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Puppy Girl does that growl/hiss thing like a cat attacking. She has excellent language skills but uses it when her sister winds her up or when she's feeling attacked by someone. It didn't even occur to me to mention that to the guy doing her diagnostic assessment - I'll make a mental note for the next appt!

#4 nomatterwhat

nomatterwhat

Nomatterwhat

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • Interests:eating chocolate .splashing in the river with kids and dog!!

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

i agree with above both my boys do this when they are getting upset it is for them a early warning sign.

#5 starby

starby

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Reading, psychology, philosophy, alternative health, spirituality, astronomy, playing piano, writing and the sea ;-)

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:08 AM

Yes my son does this when he's really angry about something.

#6 goinginsane

goinginsane

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

my son growls when we tell him off or when he gets angry.

#7 handle with care...

handle with care...

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:homeopathic and natural treatments
    Keeping my sanity!!!!

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:29 AM

A (4) does that too. He has an excellant vocabulary but reverts when upset. For him we actually encourage it. He uses it as a sort of emotional stress release when he is getting really frustrated or mad. (Remember how lamaz breathing was supposed to help stress of labor pains?) For him the slow building growl is his way of releasing pressure like a tea kettle. If I don't allow him to try to release this pressure he will boil over and explode destroying anything in his path. It's sort of annoying, especially when he does it while your trying to make a point with him (he usually accompanies it with grabbing your clothes hard and trying to shove), but it's also his own way of asking for help because he knows he's about to come unhinged and knows I'll hear him and come to his rescue. We agree that we'd rather him do that than than shout :censored . (I find I use it now in place of swearing or shouting when I'm angry :blush: .) Oddly enough, he responds better to my using it back at him when he has upset me, than any amount of reasoning was able to do (as long as he doesn't think I'm mocking him). I still try to follow it up with reasoning but since he also has ADHD and ODD in addition to ASD, he usually tunes my words out while the sounds captivate him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users