#1 lisac

lisac

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

POPULAR

Thoughts please. It is possible my son was damaged in 1988. I am worried about my grandson being vaccinated. Should I be ? What would you do?    http://therefusers.c...m/#.UXq_cqNw1fA

• GrillFout, xingdon6w2, kzeofjwt and 183 others like this

#2 maximus prime

maximus prime

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,059 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Andrew Wakefield has been proved to be a charlatan, who has become very wealthy on the backs of parents' fears.

All mine had MMR, Jack and Lucy had MMR after their diagnoses, I will be advising my children to have their children vaccinated when the time comes too.

The measles outbreak in Wales has claimed one life already, I wouldn't want to risk measles when there was a vaccine readily available tbh.
  • Huwbert likes this

#3 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

To put your mind at rest my DH was not vaccinated even back in the 60's as his mother did not believe in it, he is so on the spectrum it is impossible to miss, of my three children -all vaccinated the only one with autism is my DH biological son, J was different from the others from day one, subtle differences but they were there anyway.
Also this research has been debunked by many others in science, my eldest son is a bio chemist who has looked at the so called research and was astounded that it was ever taken seriously by anyone.
Any vaccination will carry a small risk of something but I lived in Africa for a while and saw the terrible effects that measles can have first hand - my children were vaccinated because of this, and against everything else possible under the NHS, I think living in a third world country made me appreciate what a difference it makes.
  • Huwbert and imperfect parent like this

#4 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

To put your mind at rest my DH was not vaccinated even back in the 60's as his mother did not believe in it

The MMR was introduced in 1988. I missed it due to my age. I still have Autism.

• Huwbert likes this

#5 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Japan gives single vaccines, the rate of autism is still rising. Wakefield has been struck off and his 'research' completely discounted.... Looking back T had autism long before any jabs
  • Huwbert likes this

#6 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:06 AM

I can understand your worries and concerns when there is a hell of a lot of 'biased' informations online.

If you're going to read/research this, then PLEASE read proper medical/scientific evidences. They should have, at the very least, pages & pages of every tests/ studies conducted with full written documentation's, names and places of every individual involved (ie universities, etc) and full conclusions & statistic results.

Not just one page on any website!

I fully recommend: http://researchautis...lcome/home.ikml
For anything Autism related.
  • Huwbert likes this

#7 Swan

Swan

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

I live in the middle of the outbreak in South Wales. My DS had the first dose when he was younger, but I won't be giving him the second dose.

Since 1998 the UK Government has spent more money on defending the MMR vaccine and depicting Wakefield as a maverick than it has on autism research.

Also whilst there is conflicting evidence on whether the MMR causes autism, in the US the Institute of Medicine did not exclude the possibility that the MMR vaccine could contribute to ASD in a small number of children.

I worry that the second dose could lead to a worsening of DS's difficulties, so won't have the second jab.

#8 lisac

lisac

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

We are torn, this woman seems sane though. 

http://www.itv.com/n...ked-mmr-theory/

Apparently you can have the Mmr jab at any stage of your life. I have told my daughter to wait till her son is 4/5 years old when he is more developed and it is clear he is not autistic, then get a professional to observe and note this. Then have the Mmr jab before he starts school. To me it seems the only way to be sure, I think.

#9 gingerpig

gingerpig

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Just checking you know that Wakefield was paid to find the link between MMR and ASD?

I never had the MMR and am ASD, my dad never had the MMR and was asd, my daughter has most certainly had both jabs and first showed ASD behaviours the day before she had the first jab.
  • Huwbert likes this

#10 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

I posted this on Facebook yesterday - I think it applies here.

The truth is that Andrew Wakefield was paid to find evidence that there was something wrong with the MMR, and it was proven forensically that he fabricated significant parts of that evidence. In the words of Brain Deer, Wakefield "concealed, misreported and changed information about the children to rig the results published in the journal." If the Good Laboratory Practice Regulations 1999 had existed at the time of Wakefield's research, he would probably have gone to prison for it.

Wakefield was paid over £435,000 "to produce unassailable evidence in court so as to convince a court that these vaccines are dangerous" (that quote comes from written instructions from the lawyer who paid Wakefield.)

And nine months before Wakefield's infamous press conference, he registered a patent for "safe" single vaccines.

Andrew Wakefield is the original Autism Vulture. It was estimated by News International journalists that if Wakefield's patented alternative to the MMR was adopted, he would have made £28million per year from worldwide sales.

• MAA2G, Kadenza, Huwbert and 1 other like this

#11 Dino mum

Dino mum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Interests:Ballet, drinking coffee, shopping and holding onto my sanity with all my might.

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

My eldest (asd) had mmr just before starting school, he's got a delicate system which is unbalanced easily so he was unwell and floppy for 2 weeks then back to normal.
My youngest had his mmr 10 days ago and no side effects at all apart from yesterday had a bit of a temperature which e we're told about by the nurse. My plan was to hold off him having his mmr for as long as possible but to have it done as soon possible if there was an epidemic.
My close friend wasn't immunised and caught mumps as an adult, that was a few years ago and she's still got side affects.

#12 lisac

lisac

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Jolly Roger, then why do you think  Andrew Wakefiled asking for an open scientific debate? It doesnt make any sense.

#13 Swan

Swan

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

Wakefield's methods were discredited (paying the parents and so forth), and this was used as a reason to discredit his findings.

The pharmaceutical companies producing the vaccines have spent huge amounts to promote its use.

#14 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,073 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:45 AM

Jolly Roger, then why do you think  Andrew Wakefiled asking for an open scientific debate? It doesnt make any sense.

Why has it taken the GMC more than five years to rule on Wakefield's actions?

This has been the longest hearing held by the General Medical Council. A panel of three GPs and two lay members has sat for a total of 187 days since the hearing was first launched. They had to consider and hear evidence from 36 witnesses on dozens of allegations. The charge sheet (PDF) runs to 95 pages - 34 of them devoted to Dr Wakefield alone. These range from Wakefield’s undisclosed conflicts of interest when publishing the research, to unethical treatment of autistic children, including the use of unnecessary and invasive tests.

What was its verdict?

The GMC said Dr Wakefield had acted “dishonestly and irresponsibly”. Among the allegations levelled against him were the use of unethical medical techniques and the failure to disclose his role as a paid adviser in a lawsuit claiming MMR had harmed children. Two other authors of the Lancet paper, Prof John Walker-Smith and Prof Simon Murch, also breached rules of conduct. Read the full verdict (PDF).

A GMC panel will meet in April to rule on the doctors’ fitness to practise. If they are found guilty of serious professional misconduct, they could be struck off the medical register.

Found on this page: http://www.nhs.uk/ne...are-doctor.aspx

AM more inclined to believe an NHS page that includes links to full reports.

As we now know, he was struck off.
And he moved straight to America and now works for pharmaceutical companies.

• Huwbert likes this

#15 lisac

lisac

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

So why  would he be calling for an Open scientific debate. Any ideas ?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users