7 replies to this topic

#1 Nic99

Nic99

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

My 4 year old was diagnosed with aspergers last week the doc has told me to apply for it as he meets the criteria but I don't know where to start, has it changed to PIP?

#2 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

DLA is still in place for children under 16. DLA has 2 components- care and mobility.

The award is not based on a diagnosis but on the care and supervision your child requires compared to a typically developing child of the same age.xx

#3 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

We didn't apply straight away. We didn't realise just how much extra time and support we were giving Boo compared to other parents of children her age. We felt that we were simply responding to our child as an individual, as all parents would.

Hah! A few years on, and she's on High Rate Care and Low Rate Mobility.

So, when you're ready (having only just got your DX, don't feel you have to rush), tackle the forms. They're pretty full on, and we found it hard to remember not to put the positive spin on everything (we usually find ourselves brushing most of the negatives under the carpet to some family & friends), but be honest. You may be knocked back & want to appeal or reapply as your son develops, or you may be awarded it straight off. All our children have such varying needs that it's almost impossible to say, but there's no harm in applying, when you're ready.

#4 Nic99

Nic99

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

Thank you, think I'm going to wait a while and let it all sink in as still feeling down and confused by it all.

#5 miami girl

miami girl

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,861 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

We were told to apply and when we did we got awarded.

Just to warn you those forms are soul destroying lots of tears at times, as its all negative and about what your child cant do, or needs help with etc.

Be kind to yourself and ask for help on here if you get stuck.

#6 Nic99

Nic99

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thank you so much, the doc has put me in touch with someone to help me fill in forms, I saw my health visitor today she told me to make sure I keep saying he can't do this and compare him to a child his own age 

#7 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Just to warn you those forms are soul destroying lots of tears at times, as its all negative and about what your child cant do, or needs help with etc. Be kind to yourself and ask for help on here if you get stuck.

I agree - filling the forms in is a deeply unpleasant experience - page after page of describing what is "wrong" with your child and what they can't do.

I recommend that you order the forms now. The claim is backdated to the day you asked for the forms, not the day you post them after filling them in, and you have several weeks to do it.

Then (if possible) have someone sit with you while you fill them in, and do them a little bit at a time, and share a bottle of something with someone every time you have a break.

#8 Skysters

Skysters

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

i have just redone my sons , made me very teary even a second time round , my first time i had the school senco to help fill it in :) they seam to know how to word things better than me ,, i got MRC and LRM but his needs has changed loads this last year so redone it again by myself :) i just typed most lol as i cant write for my life lol .. and going into further detail of some of the questions ended up bigger than the actual boxes :) ..

Wish me luck .. im hoping for a change in both parts ! but i will appeal if only one part successful :) 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users