53 replies to this topic

#46 Bungie

Bungie

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

Hi all, I'm new here. Apologies for being so brief, not good at touchscreen typing!
How do I find out what is considered a normal amount of care for a 3 year old? Any 3 year old needs lots of care and supervision, so how can I find out what counts as extra? Any ideas on where to look please?
  • Frillitle likes this

#47 Missmerlot

Missmerlot

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hi Bungie, I'm new here too but plenty experience of the dreaded DLA form. I would strongly advise you get help to fill in the form the first time you apply. Ask your health visitor / social worker / Citizens Advice Bureau for help. They will know how to word your replies for the best. It's a soul destroying process but you have to imagine your child on their worst day when filling it in.

Look on the Cerebra website for advice. I think Contact a Family have a helpful section too.

Edited by Missmerlot, 26 August 2013 - 06:26 PM.

#48 Bungie

Bungie

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thankyou Missmerlot. Having thought about it objectively, actually, it's blindingly obvious, that my son needs much more care than is usual.
I now have the forms and will see about seeking some help with it on Monday.

#49 Tangled

Tangled

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Hi

It is 8 weeks today that the DLA received my renewal forms so I could phone them up to see what is happening (the letter conforming receipt said to wait 8 weeks). It seems like quite a long wait - not sure if this is a good or bad sign? I will probably give it a few more days before chasing.

Just wondering if anyone else has done renewals lately and how long they took?

Tangled xx

#50 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Church Children Books

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Mine wasn't a renewal but a reconsideration but I phoned them last week as it had been 8 weeks. They said it was with the decision maker but it could take between 8-12 weeks I think they are on a go slow at the moment.

#51 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Ymum - glad to know its not just me! Hopefully we will both hear soon xx

#52 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Church Children Books

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

They phoned me today because his health paper work didn't match his education paper work and they wanted to know which one was accurate. So I told them the education one cos they have him every week and don't write stupid sweeping reports after observing him for half an hour.

Anyway it sounded very positive so I now have to wait and see. Hopefully yours will get sorted too.

• Tangled likes this

#53 Tangled

Tangled

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Ooh, got the decision letter this morning. Still got middle rate care but also low rate mobility now (which I had hoped for as DS1 can't go out on his own due to anxiety).

The amazing thing is that the award is until 2019 (although I guess when he turns 16 it will go over to PIP? - or is it just when the DLA award runs out?).

Tangled xx
  • goinginsane likes this

#54 KNLmummy

KNLmummy

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

I just want to leave my experience of claiming DLA for anyone in the same situation. I applied for DS1 10, in January last year and it took 18 weeks for us to be told no. The had reports, appointment letters, a letter from me about his needs, a consultant report and a doctors report. I asked for a reconsideration and it wasn't awarded.
Fast forward to February this year, I applied again with just his diagnosis report and put down no one except the GP as a person of contact. Within a week of them receiving the form a lady rang me to ask about his nighttime care needs and to clarify about his refusal to walk and I rang back later that day and DS was awarded MRC and LRM, for Aspergers, until 2020 when he will be 16 and a half. It took just over two weeks in total. I filled out the forms by myself both times using briefly the cereba guide. Shows just how different the outcome can be. Don't give up, I nearly did.

Edited by KNLmummy, 09 April 2014 - 12:18 PM.

• Huwbert and TrishWish like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users