4 replies to this topic

#1 jennybongo

jennybongo

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:50 PM

When my son was a toddler he had stilted speech and would stand by the back kicking it until he could be let out into the garden to look at the lawn mover and a generator we had. 
His play was indiosyncratic with extension cables and anything to do with winding them and weaving them around the house and linking them with other cables, he pointed out every plug socket and would squeal with excitement at them. At my Mum's he would sit her two vacuums side by side and just walk happily around them.

Infant school was challenging. He had no control over his emotional regulation, he woud run out of class and when he was in he wasn't an active member. He was a fluent reader despite not accessing much of the phonics work.He struggled with social communication. His autism was obvious and the diagnosis process was easy and he got an Aspergers diagnosis at 5 years old.

That was 5 years ago. You wouldn't really know now!! He still has support to keep him on task in the classroom but that can now be decreased. He wants to be like his mainstream peers and that's his biggest motivator, he doesn't like to be different. He is catching up academically and we are looking at secondary schools for him. 
We are pushing him and he's flying. 

So pleased. 

#2 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

That's great, very pleased for you. Hope you manage to find the right secondary for him. 

#3 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

That's lovely to hear JB.  

Both your boys are wonderful individuals, blossoming under your and your DH's care and understanding.  All those fights you've had with the LA are bearing fruit. xxx

#4 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:01 AM

Amazing and an uplifting post for many to read. Its incredible the progress our kids can make.
  • jennybongo likes this

#5 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:02 PM

This post gives hope and delight, thank you.

Aren't children amazing, how they adapt and progress regardless x
  • jennybongo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users