4 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:16 PM

We've just ordered a Nissan Leaf: http://www.nissan.co...icles/leaf.html

It's an electric car and it costs 2p per mile IF you have to pay to charge it. (compared with the 12p per mile in MissMac's eco-mentalist hatchback and 22p per mile in my 4x4.)

They fit a charger at your house for free and you pay for the electricity, but there's also a network of rapid chargers all over the country that take just half an hour to recharge the battery - and most of them don't cost you a penny.

In our test drive we went to the seaside in Northumberland. 300 miles, topped up the battery (we "battered the car" as Little Nutter described it) four times, and didn't pay a penny for our fuel. That would have cost forty quid in an economy car...

Gareth

#2 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:35 PM

Oooo thats cool, lots of money to be saved. And good for the eco system so thumbs up :) Does it go fast? Or like only like 40mph?

#3 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like a good idea if you are going to be travelling near the charging points.

There are 2  parking spaces allocated in our "local" (40 minutes drive away) Asda  for electric car charging, but there are no charging points  there yet. 

I wonder what will happen when the charging points arrive, but more than 2 people want to charge up at the same time . I guess you form a queue.

Maybe I won't order one just yet !

#4 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:53 AM

I did 75mph in our test car, Mozzy. And it's capable of going faster. And the way it can sprint from traffic lights is very surprising.

Caci, when we looked at the maps showing the locations of charge points, we were surprised. We thought there were two in York, but there are almost thirty, and throughout our test drive we were never more than 15 minutes drive from one.

We didn't see a queue at a charge point, and talking to owners of electric cars it seems at queues are almost unheard of at the moment - and they are building them pretty rapidly.

#5 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

We have a few charging points near us (mainly at car sales places) but none of the 30 min rapid charge ones yet.  As we get quite a few power cuts at home, I would want the security of knowing I could top-up with power somewhere during the day, if I hadn't been able to fully charge the car overnight at home.

I really like the idea of an electric car, and as a 2nd car in the family, I think it could work OK for us for regular journeys, like to and from work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users