Photo

Tony Attwood - Opinion Of Him

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:22 AM

So I saw Tony speak last week and I have heard a variety of views about him.
I was quite excited to be able to go and I'm not sure if that is making me like it because I could go rather than the content of it.
So I am very interested in people's views of him in general and why.

#2 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

My only information has come from when J was first dx and I bought his book, I found it very interesting and informative but with time I have realised that a lot of his idea's (quite understandably) are a generalisation,as J has grown up with his various problems I have not found any answers in his books. I know that this is a bit unfair as J has managed to confound every professional he has has contact with and I was pleased that my FIL decided to read his books as it does start to give an idea about the autistic brain and the problems that they can face.

I think what I am trying to say is that the spectrum is so vast the experts can only be experts based on the people they have met.
  • imperfect parent likes this

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,969 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

I've read his books, and like his approach, but like MCL my experience is somewhat different.  I would like to be able to hear him speak.

Geoff Evans who was with the Options group(not sure if he still is) was someone I heard speak, and had the opportunity to speak to and would very much like to talk to/hear again.

#4 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

I have heard a lot of mixed reviews since seeing Tony Attwood last week - some positive, some negative and I spent some time trying to figure out if I should agree with his methods and thoughts or not. Then I realised it didn't matter. What matters is I went and I listened.
I won't agree with every speaker on autism but that's good. It's important to hear as many different views, ideas and perspectives as possible. It's no different to say me sharing my experiences of a supermarket. It will be different to many others with autism but that's fine. If you listen to 20 different autistics talk about going into a supermarket you will have 20 things to be mindful of not just 1.

And it doesn't matter if the person talking is a professional, parent, carer or person with autism it's important to listen to all views equally even again if you disagree. Everyone will have different opinions and approaches and those will change overtime as they are based on the time we are in, the people they work with, parent or support.

When I saw Tony there was also guest speakers with autism giving a nice contrast and it was refreshing to hear him and Michelle talk about relationships (friendships and beyond) and say where a person with ASD may struggle and how they can cope and learn but it equally gave information on how NT (non-autistic) people need to accept quirks and differences or things they are not use to and change too - it wasn't all about the ASD person changing. I liked that but equally I didn't like some other bits he said. And I've decided that's ok.

What I'm trying to say is everyone will have an opinion on every aspect of autism but like the cure or don't cure argument and those views depend on what they have experienced personally and professionally. And it's important to hear and read as much as you can so you are aware of what you're interested and believe in but also aware of how others might think and feel. Autism will always be an emotive topic for all those connected to it.

• imperfect parent likes this

#5 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

I saw Tony Attwood some years ago now and like you wasn't sure if I agreed with him or was just happy to be part of it all and see him! He is a very good speaker through and I found it enjoyable and interesting listening to him.

Like MCL said, I have his book but haven't really found it much use. Other parents I have spoken to treat it like it's their bible so he obviously has some insight for some people but not LE.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users