26 replies to this topic

#16 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:49 PM

How did today go, have they gave you any nclination wot they are doing?

#17 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:34 PM

I think today went OK. dd had height, weight, reflexes etc tested, then 10 min conversation based on ADOS-2 booklet. Afterwards, the paediatrician said she'd done well - no idea what that actually means, but dd sat, answered most questions, looked at him, didn't fidget too much, etc (something she had absolutely not done with visitors the previous weekend!). However, she's also been referred to SALT as well, and that could be months in our area. SALT and paediatrician then meet and make a joint decision. So it another wait...

#18 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 10:37 PM

Aarrrgh.

We were at the hospital today for allergy test for dd, and happened to bump into our paediatrician. He was very nice, and apologised for us not hearing from speech and language yet. It seems that shortly he referred dd, SALT was off long term sick, and then left. It could be next summer...

#19 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:08 PM

Typical huh, this waiting game is tough. Sounds like you may have went to the bottom of the list again, it's so frustrating. Would like t help calling them to find out?

We have our second paediatrician app for l on Monday. Not sure what that'll bring, if they've gathered enough information to go any further or not, or know school sent a report haven't seen it but not convinced it'll have any helpful info as he is managing well at school at the moment. His anxieties are pretty low at the moment Aswell as I'm off work at moment so I'm at home with him 24 /7 which seems to be helping.

I know it's not a quick fix but at least I'll know if there willing to assess or if he is to go down the CAMHS route. X

#20 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:38 PM

I hope all goes well tomorrow.

#21 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:15 PM

I just feel despondent, the paediatrician wants the education physiologist to assess L now at school as there's a difference in what were saying and what school are seeing. It'll take another 6 months before she calls the next review.

If they then say different then the paediatrician has no info to go on so they will have to look at other things rather than the Asd route.

I'm really doubting myself again, she said that if it is Asd then it's mild and probably why the school can't see it.

I'm beginning to think that I'm seeing things in his behaviour or looking for things that obvisouly not there.

If it's just traits then we'll just have to manage this I guess. X

#22 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

That is a long time to wait again. Hopefully, the person you have will know what they are looking for. Our school thought it was our parenting (only problems at home, in their eyes), but the EP noticed all the features that helped ds1 cope in school ( class of 7, well established role in larger group situations, oldest in class at time, unconscious adaptations teachers made for him etc).

I sometimes think I'm over sensitive with dd. However, we have been through such difficult times with ds1. When he got to high school, the fact he already had a diagnosis helped immensely, and we think it's important to know for dd.

I hope the wait is not too long.

#23 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 01:38 PM

I'm trying to relax a bit and try and not centre on it, I think mostly as a self preservation, you know just in case t comes back a no go.

I see so many traits but that may be all they are as the peadetrition said she can't dx but if it is Asd then it might be on the lesser side so not as easily recognised.

I see something in my DS too who's 5 but not sure what, she's hypersensitive to things like noise, clothing and is oral sensitive especially when anxious. She chews and sucks on things. She almost eats her hand when anxious. And she's Aiken to wanting to suck my fingers at night (strange I know lol)

She suffers anxiety especially socially, does not like to be away from me for any length off time, struggles with school. Enjoys school but becomes anxious and emotional if she thinks her friend won't be their, sometimes on the bus and eating at lunch I have to reassure her every morning. She didn't eat at school for the first few weeks and now only eats minimal. She won't eat at parties or other events like that.

She is a very emotional girl and regularly has emotional meltdowns over the little things.

She does seem sociable though and plays imaginatively with her dolls and things??

I know what you man about being overly sensitive, looking at things and wondering what if? X

#24 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 10 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Our local team monitored for 8 years and kept insisting that his ASD traits were so mild he would not meet the criteria for a DX.  It's now accepted that he has severe autism.  What matters more than an exact agreed DX is how well he is coping and what help he needs.  If he gets the rights support then the DX is not needed.

It's frustrating that parents difficulties with a child are ignored when the cause of much of the difficulty at home is how they cope with school.  However there is a lot of poor behaviour in school caused by poor parenting, and it can be difficult to separate the cause.  It irks me that I have been accused of spoiling my son when I can get him to do far more than school could without bribes.  the breakthrough for us came when CAMHS supported our view that poor behaviour at school was impacting home, and not vice versa based on what they saw when he was with me, and reports of what he did in school.

Trust your judgement and keep pushing for what you think your children need to cope.

#25 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 09:39 PM

Finally, SALT in post, and dd has an appointment in a couple of weeks ...

#26 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,931 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

Early identification and intervention for ASD still seems to be dream. Hope the assessment means that L gets the support he needs.

#27 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

Still waiting guys and feel that things are not going to go the way we want.

L manages well most of the time and I believe it's due to us managing things.
We have not heard any further from the paedetrician who was getting a second opinion from someone else, Asd nurse team I think, new in our area due to school stating that they believe he does not mee the criteria for an Asd dx. Paedetrician felt Ls behaviour warranted further investigation.

That was a couple of months ago, I'm assuming that didn't happen as we are now on school holidays.

I don't have much faith in education recognising any issue Logan may have, so far though at least there providing a suitable education. However this doesn't help when I observe anxiety linked with school. I worry about him going in to primary 5, that's no longer the lower school and expectations are higher.

I hate this wait and see type of assessment, I strongly believe it's Asd, we have Aspergers and ADHD in our family. My worry is that there is no dx or they pin it on attachment? I'm well aware of attachment disorder through my work and it seems to be the new buzz word for some people. Don't get me wrong I witness attachment disorder everyday and I'm sure l does not have that.

I would even go for anxiety and this point because that's the one behaviour that definitely needs addressed. It's the one that influences how he manages Day to day.

The state such a long tide and that's without being put on the lust, we have a two year wait for assessment in our area as it is. I'm already two years down this path already.

Thanks for continued support, I know u guys will be there too support when needed x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users