Photo

Gluten, Dairy Free Bread

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 20 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

I want to make some gluten and dairy free bread - anyone got a recipe? A good one, all the ones I have tried have just failed!

Oh and nut free!!

#2 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Church Children Books

Posted 25 March 2015 - 10:12 AM

We used to get an amazing bread mix on prescription but they discontinued it which was frustrating. The most success I've had making gluten and dairy free bread is buying the packet mixes from the supermarket and baking them myself. The best one was Helen's brilliant bread mix and I used his soya milk.

There is a facebook page against all grain which I sometimes get recipes from but she uses a lot of nut flours so probably not that useful for you. 

If you find a recipe that works can you post it on here so I can try it too please.

• Mozzy likes this

#3 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:reading, gardening, swimming, seeing friends, surfing net

Posted 10 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

I use the recipe on the back of the Doves farm white bread GF/WF flour packet, dairy free margarine and Arla lactose free milk. You could use a different milk substitute if you can't tolerate Arla. I also use a bread maker with a gluten free bread programme. I tried lots of different recipes and ingredients before settling on this one. It isn't the same texture as ordinary bread, but fine for making toast, sandwiches and " herby bread."

Melly1
  • Mozzy likes this

#4 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

I feel a trip to sainsbury before I get rid of my bread maker altogether is in order, I might even pursuade all my children to try some gluten free bread although I'm not hopeful on that one.

#5 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

It's smells lovely as it bakes. So they might be tempted....

Needs to be cold though to slice properly.

Melly1

#6 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll look at the Doves Farm recipe (I think I have some of that in the cupboard). And also look out for the Helens Brilliant Bread, there is a Sainsburys near by so will go look next week.

I'll let you know how I get on....

Oh Jamie Olivers lemon biscuits recipe doesnt work so well with Doves Farm plain flour and Pure dairy free instead of 'normal' flour and butter. You have no hope in rolling it out - even after 3 hours in the fridge and adding extra flour!! Does cook and is nice (very lemon-ey and sweet) but you kinda have to spread it on a baking try rather than using a cookie cutter. Was interesting baking thats for sure!!

#7 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

Mozzy, the bread recipe can be used for a pizza base too. Like your lemon biscuits, it needs spreading instead of rolling, but tastes delicious.

Melly1

#8 Ymum

Ymum

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:41 PM

I've done it I managed to get a loaf baked today, it was meant to be for my husband when he got in from work but there's not much left now it was a real hit with everyone I'll definitely be making it again.  

Melly when you make pizza do you need to bake the spread out dough first or just add the tomato and cheese to the spread dough and bake it that way? 

#9 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

Lidl baking fat has only traces of milk, it's in the flavouring which comes below colouring on the ingredient list.  We use it for biscuits and pastry and it is better for this than Pure, but then we are dealing with intolerance rather than allergy.

When I make gluten free pizza I spread the topping on the base before cooking like I do with normal base.

#10 Melly1

Melly1

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

I've done it I managed to get a loaf baked today, it was meant to be for my husband when he got in from work but there's not much left now it was a real hit with everyone I'll definitely be making it again.

Melly when you make pizza do you need to bake the spread out dough first or just add the tomato and cheese to the spread dough and bake it that way?

Sorry YMum, not been on for ages. I spread the dough and leave it to prove (I heat a cup of water in the microwave, which makes it the atmosphere inside warm and moist. Once the microwave pings, I put the pizza inside to prove.) I then just spread on the tomato, add the toppings and cheese and bake.

Melly1

Edited by Melly1, 18 May 2015 - 01:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users