imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-39502366

Just seen this.  We've done used many varied strategies to get hair cut over the years, but are now settled with a good hairdresser who understands the approach needed.

• Kadenza likes this

#2 Kadenza

Kadenza

Under the table

• The Moderators
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

So far, Boo (who is almost 14) will let me trim her hair, but we've not been brave enough to take her to a hairdressers, as I'm not sure she'd cope with the sensory overload that I'm certain she would experience.  I think we may give it a go soon, though - at a quiet time - and see how she gets on.

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,933 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

The hairdresser we use is very small and quiet, 2 hairdressers working in separate rooms.  I can send DS2 with DD, but DS1 can only cope if he is the  only one of us having a haircut..  Even then we don't have timely trims, we just do haircuts as and when he can cope so his hair length does vary, especially when he has been away at school.

We've been lucky as the owner is the partner of DH's work colleague so we were able to explain the issues before going,. It's the very talented young lad who cuts our hair; I think the owner recognised that he might not be able to stop talking  :D and that would be too much for our boys.  

• Kadenza likes this

#4 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

LE used to be terrile. Hairdressers ANY hairdressers were out of the question for years. He would have screaming fits even if me and dh attempted to cut his hair. You would literally have to hold him down, same would go for cutting finger and toe nails. Reminded me of trying to trim an angry cats nails!

Thank God those days are over.

It took many years but now at 13 he can go to any hairdressers and there's not much of an issue. I have to make sure his hair doesn't get too overgrown as for him it's mainly the tiny stray hairs that get on his skin or under his t-shirt and 'scratch' that cause him issues.

In fact I got his hair cut last week at our local hairdressers and when he came out he told me she wasn't very good as she was combing through his hair too roughly (I noticed she wasn't that bad really) so he does still have problems but no longer has outbursts over it.

Even so I still can't get out of the habit of taking a spare t-shirt along with me just in case!

It was funny actually as when she had finished she didn't put a mirror behind his head to show him the back of his hair. He asked very directly ( :blush: ) for the mirror and then spent about what seemed like forever with her standing there holding it and him checking before he was satisfied :hehehe: 

I could tell she was getting a it peeved about it. Gosh it was a little embarrassing lol!

#5 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

We have been lucky with haircuts.

Ds1 and ds2 watched dh cut his own hair with clippers, and that is how we did theirs, because they were used to it. Ds2 (NT) in fact was worse when he was little than ds1 and often had a day when he had had "half" a haircut because he wouldn't stay still for long enough.

Dd however had her hair trimmed by me until she was 4 when she decided to grow it. She has refused to have it cut since ( apart from major tears when I have occasionally had to cut a knot out and once ds1 put putty in her hair). Her fringe now mercifully ties back into the rest of the hair...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users