Photo

Circumcision Experience - Teenager Due One Soon.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lollypocket

lollypocket

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:46 PM

Hi, 

I have not been on the ASDf boards for quite some time.  I couldn't log in as lost my details and tried/failed to set up a new password a few times.  I have managed to get it to work this time - Yay!

I am looking for anyone who may have some experience or advice on circumcision.  My 13 year old son is due to have one in the next couple of months.  He is suffering phimosis as a result of a suspected case of BXO.  It has caused scarring and his foreskin is now too tight to pull back.  He is still able to pee without it ballooning so they are in no hurry to do the procedure.

I have been fretting about this since late last year and wondered if anyone here had any experience/advice they could pass on?

Thanks in advance

KJW

#2 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:53 PM

We have, J had to have a circumscion a couple of years ago (13 yrs old at the time), I would not say it was a pleasant experience but to J it was worth it, he could finally wee without spraying everywhere.
It was uncomfortable rather than sore for him and he was impatient for the healing to finish, we followed the post op advise to the letter and have had no complications.
I did talk with the surgeon/hospital before to explain he was autistic and they needed to explain everything but not talk down to him which they did very well. I think this made a huge difference, I was also able to talk him through everything before the surgery.

Often medical people see a child and don't use the correct terminology which would have irritated him immensely.

Hope that helps

#3 lollypocket

lollypocket

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Thanks MCL :)

I have been so concerned about the whole thing as we have waited for the hols to have it done.  It has made me a bit of a lunatic, as I have had too much time to think about it all :crazy:

Luckily my son is not currently experiencing any discomfort, but we have noticed that his foreskin is getting tighter.

That is a very good point about using the correct words.  I definitely need to see the Surgeon and staff to explain about his autism and find out how things will go for him.  How much information did you give your son, and how near to the day?  I am loathe to tell L too much too soon as he will start to fret like me!

KJW

#4 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

It was very much J that drove everything as he was feeling a little discomfort when going for a wee and he wanted to get it sorted, we were lucky as the time between consultation and the Op was only about three weeks. I read through the leaflets with him when we received them and just discussed when he wanted.
About a week before we talked more, I told him that he would have to stay inactive for a few days and that he would be ' spoilt' so we decided what films we would watch. We joked about the fact that we had to be at the hospital really early, generally talked about it in a positive light, I told him he would be uncomfortable - afterwards he told me it was less than he expected.

#5 lollypocket

lollypocket

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:06 PM

I am really relieved to hear your positive experience.  I think I may get my son a new game to play on his DS to keep him rooted for a while.

KJW :)

#6 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:16 PM

Welcome back :)

No experience LOL but I have access to the health symbols / PECS stuff through work so if you need anything let me know.

#7 lollypocket

lollypocket

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Mozzy, I will bear that in mind :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users