5 replies to this topic

#1 scattymom

scattymom

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:41 AM

Am doing PIP application to replace DLA for ds who has just turned 16 and am getting in a bit of a tizz with it, I wondered if anyone who has done this might be able/willing to share any advice or experience??

I know that his condition must affect him at least 50% of the time before a descriptor caan apply, but am getting confused. For example: He is 16 and lives at home, therefore I do all the cooking as a rule. I do encourage him to work with me occasionally and will try and leave him to do bits independently. He ALWAYS needs prompting, reminding and encouraging to complete anything ie. peeling&chopping veg as he doesn't stay on task, is not motivated and forgets what he is supposed to be doing, so relies on being shown, and having instructions given in small chunks. But, he only cooks occasionally, definitely less than 50% of the time.

He doesn't need to make 'complex' budgeting decisions , but I know that if he were getting bills, or needing plan spending over a period of time, he would need help with this.

and so on. I'm finding it really hard to quantify everything, because he is never really unsupported, I'm sure most of you will relate to the fact that so much of what we do, we just do automatically because that's just how it is!! So, for example, because he has only ever attempted to do a bus journey semi independently once (and it went wrong) he is too scared to do it again - and what parent would knowingly put their child into a situation that could be dangerous!! So I only have one example to draw upon, and can't possibly guess at how it would go again.

Sorry if I'm rambling, but found DLA so simple compared to this!!

Any advice or suggestions would be very very gratefully received, thankyou xx

#2 mrselvis

mrselvis

Jail house rocker

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:39 PM

I've just sent back ours today. I found the PIP slightly easier to complete than the DLA forms, however I'm waiting with baited breath on the outcome. I've included lots of supporting reports from each of the professionals involved in my son's care, in the hope we might even escape a face to face interview. Given his challenging behaviour, an interview would be "interesting" to say the least!

I would just put what you have written, stressing he needs continual promoting and support in order to function. I would also describe how hard things are if you hypothetically removed all support. "To do this activity, x support is needed. Without that support x,y,z would happen constituting a significant risk to his physical and mental health and the safety of those around him"

Good luck x

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:47 PM

I agree write it how you have written it above. Think, some 16 year old kids do live on their own and get chucked out or come out of care or choose to, could your kid do that? You know the answer and thats what they are looking for you to write why he couldn't fend for himself if he needed to.

#4 bigmuma

bigmuma

bigmuma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:animals

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:06 PM

When I did it, I always had to compare to a child of the same age, which is easy for me as I have another 16 months younger and he can't do half of what she can do. We were lucky as we didn't have to have a face to face interview even though we didn't have much supporting evidence. At 18, you don't seem to get professional involvement, unless they threaten to commit suicide! My advice is also to think worst case scenario. I hope you feel a little more confident now and mange to do it.

#5 scattymom

scattymom

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 04:11 PM

Thankyou everyone - sorry for late reply, haven't lgged on for a while - have had head in the PIP forms!! Have done my best and included evidence, referring specifically to it in my answers where relevant. Bigmuma, I totally get where you're coing from - we have very little recent evidence as in our county no post dx support is routinely offered, especially at 16, and because DS is well supported at home and at school we have no 'major' issues. It just is how it is, he's our kid and we know how to help him!

Bigmuma, you were lucky to escape a face to face, what sort of evidence did you have??

#6 bigmuma

bigmuma

bigmuma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:animals

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:50 PM

We didn't have any evidence at all. He hadn't even seen the GP recently. I cited the GP as a reference, but the form was just filled in on my observations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users