4 replies to this topic

#1 Jules71

Jules71

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

I am very confused (but that doesn't take much!). My son turns 16 in September, we currently get middle rate DLA for him.  I've had the letter asking where to send payments for DLA once he turns 16 until a decision is made about PIP (we haven't been sent forms to apply at this stage) and also about whether he needs an appointee.

My question is does I need to apply to be his appointee? I am unclear whether an appointee is just about managing the money or if it is about who fills in the form.

He has Aspergers, he is not going to be able to fill in the form himself so if it is going to be me filling it in does that mean I need to be his appointee? He is going to need me or his dad there if they want to interview him, he probably won't speak to them anyway!

As for managing his own finances, he does have his own bank account, with a debit card but that is managed with help from me and his dad.

I only filled in his DLA renewal last summer, can't believe we have to go through it all again so soon!!

He is very intelligent but not where things like this are concerned, I thought this would be the best place to ask what people in a similar situation have done. Thanks :)

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,978 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:31 PM

Life was hectic and I didn't complete any paperwork before hand so we had to have an assessment, but I was really glad I hadn't tried to complete the forms as it went well.

We were fortunate that the person who came out to assess was familiar with ASD.  DS was his usual quiet self ignoring the interloper, but she just quietly continued allowing me to answer, but listening and watching him for comment.  She explained everything simply and nearly without patronising him, and was happy when he chose to have me as his appointee.

She was one of the best people I've met for instinctively knowing how to engage DS; I did thank her  and that was before we knew the decision which came as another pleasant surprise.

#3 caci

caci

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:42 AM

I know someone who was undecided, so asked for a visit to discuss the situation with her son.

A lovely lady came and spoke about handling money. The 16 yr old seemed confident he could manage not to overspend, however, when the she asked what he would do if his DLA wasn't paid into the account, he had no idea. When she suggested he would need to phone someone to sort it out, he was horrified and said "It's best Mum deals with everything then".

The outcome was the Mum was made appointee and the situation will be reviewed by DWP "in a few years"

#4 Jules71

Jules71

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:27 PM

Thank you, I've applied to be his appointee.

#5 deannatrois

deannatrois

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:49 AM

This was a difficult one for me too.  My son is now 19, and I did discuss the issue fully with him.  My son is very vocal and capable, but phone calls, no this would stress him an awful lot.  He also has problems 'managing' money so we are working on that.  He was quite happy to have me as his appointee but I was worried I would be taking away 'his rights'.  But he clearly couldn't manage applying for benefits, dealing with questions and knowing what to do himself.  

So I'm working on helping him be as self reliant as possible, being his advocate but making sure his views and wishes are known.

When his money comes in, I pay some of it directly to him so he has money for his personal needs, and we discuss how the rest of it should be allocated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users