imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:57 AM

http://www.theguardi...rama-the-a-word

The clip I heard made me look it up, I shall be watching to see if it lives up to publicity.  I like the fact that they recognise this is the story of one individual and family, and that Autism is different for everyone.  Lets hope this is as good as it sounds and makes others think.

• Eggman likes this

#2 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:46 AM

Oh thanks for the head up on this as I knew it was coming on but couldn't remember when.

Will definitely be watching.

#3 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:21 PM

Yeah I saw a clip about this yesterday, don't know when it will be aired but it does look interesting, especially from a families emotional perspective. Looking forward to watching .

#4 Maverick

Maverick

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:40 PM

Will definitely B watching.

#5 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:18 PM

Recorded The A Word and watched it last night. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.

#6 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

The young actor is brilliant, I wonder what he thinks of what he is doing.

The parents in the assessment were very realistic, but the professionals not so realistic.

Family dynamics are plausible.

I thought that the diagnosis was really quick, and it didn't really show how many different people you have to talk too, but that is understandable given time constraints.

I will be watching again, but I'm not sure  yet what if anything the sub plot of the sister in law's affair brings to the programme.

It does make me wonder what people would make of our life if it were on camera.  It's similar to, but different from what is portrayed.

• Eggman likes this

#7 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

I've watched two episodes now. I wonder if the sub plots are just to keep people's interests although I personally find them an annoying distraction and a bit far fetched.

I really like Christopher Eccleston's part as the obnoxious granddad!

The bit when the professional threatened to kick the father out of the office for helping with the jigsaw puzzle was a bit OTT.

I found some parts quite realistic particularly the mother's difficulties coming to terms with her son's diagnosis and the emotional roller coaster you go on. I thought they did that quite well.

#8 mad cat lady

mad cat lady

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

I have not watched it, I may see on catch up but I am thankful that it is on as my in laws have been watching and they are seeing some of J's behaviour so they may finally be accepting that he is austistic And not down to us being bad parents .

#9 Janey

Janey

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:27 AM

Am I being over sensitive or did last night show seem to be showing the family as being the cause of Joe's problems?

There really doesn't seem to be a lot of sympathy for their plight from the scriptwriter, they are being portrayed very unflatteringly.

Yes I know we can be blinkered about our children and it can be a good thing but I just felt that the way the story line has been going really shows the family in the worst possible light.

I'm finding it all a bit simplistic andpoorly written I am not sure it is very helpful.

(and if they make the daughter pregnant because of family neglect I will probably switch off)

Janey :)

• Eggman likes this

#10 caci

caci

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:37 PM

I have seen the first 2 episodes and feel Joe's autism is just one of many themes running through the programme.

I found it a bit like watching Holby City and expecting to see medical accuracy. I am sure there is some, but the programmes is mainly the relationships between the characters - just like the A Word ! (IMO)

• Huwbert likes this

#11 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

It's so so LOL

#12 Huwbert

Huwbert

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

It never advertised itself as a documentary  - it's make-believe drama.

I like it x

Just as I liked Thirteen.  Not a real representation of how police handle serious crime.  Just telly x

Agree with Caci - nobody watching Holby thinks it's real - it's just fun to watch. 

Edited by Huwbert, 08 April 2016 - 06:05 PM.

• caci likes this

#13 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,203 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Can't watch it, but plenty of people at work are watching it. It seems to be raising awareness - had more discussions about it recently than I've had for quite some time.

#14 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 08 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

Yes there have been some comments at my work too (and the only reason I've watched it is so I can join in LOL). It's a common topic at work anyway (LD care provider) but the one aspect I think people are appreciating most is the disfunction of the family. That it is not a perfect family and the 'traits' in grandad! As well as looking for blame.

Personally I do watch things like this because many I know do but they do frustrate me or cause emotions sometimes even anger me when they are trying to include every trait possible into one person!

#15 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:21 PM

I think the birthday part bit and the slap were well done and realistic. They really hit home for me ...

It has to be entertaining for people and can never reflect everyone's ASD experiences as they are all so different ... But lots of conversations at my work too and that can only be good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users