Photo

Employable Me

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:25 AM

Anyone watched these? What do you think?

I think it is fantastic they are highlighting the skills within a person and how they can actually be of benefit to the company.

I do think it would be nice to include some people with maybe an LD and autism or more effected by their autism and show them getting pleasure out of working too. But hey, we can't have everything!

I just like the way it highlights the sense of use and purpose these people feel when they try or find work, it's just how I felt when I got my work placement. Like I was part of something, could achieve and could do something.

#2 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

I decided I couldn't bring myself to watch it as I felt it would be too close to home and touch a nerve for me that I am not psychologically strong enough to cope with. Then people at work started talking about it but also mentioning that the people with autism all had talents (??) such as amazing piano playing etc.... Which made me even sadder !!

But like I say not seen it

#3 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

I've enjoyed it, much to my surprise.  The people with Tourettes have been articulate and fascinating; I didn't realise that Tourettes could become an issue out of the blue, for some reason I had thought that it was something you either suffered from  or didn't though I knew that it was affected by stress.  Like other anxiety related difficulties tics are hard to control when you focus on them, but absent when concentrating. So a good job for one person was tree surgery; not the most obvious choice.

Those with ASD that I've seen have had aspects which remind me of my boys and their friends, not the same as any one of them, but an interesting mix of their traits.

I guess what stands out to us is the familiar, but what will stand out to NT viewers is the common perception of ASD, hence the focus on special gifts/abilities.

#4 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

I've avoided it. xx

#5 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:16 PM

I think the 'skills' but had not been talked about properly.
Yes one person with autism was fab on a piano but they looked psychologically at all of the people autism and Tourette's and when they talk about skills it's more looking at their IQ and seeing strengths and also areas of weakness and finding jobs in fields them at used their 'skills' more than their weaknesses - it wasn't at all a savant type thing and they did it to all of them not just the ones with autism. And they did show people fail or not cope with jobs as well as some success stories which was nice as I felt it made it more realistic that employers do say no and are cautious of the labels people have.

#6 bluewater

bluewater

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor activities

Posted 13 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

We watched one and found it interesting. The world beyond school is not so far away for ds1 now...

#7 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

I find it fascinating but again it seems to be focusing on 'special skills' which I don't believe every single ASD person has. TV can't seem to do a programme about ASD without mentioning this which I find grating.

Possibly getting towards the severe end in Aspergers many do have but LE doesn't and I have never watched on TV programme about ASD that comes anywhere near what he is like. Makes me wonder sometimes if he has ASD at all the way TV programmes like to concentrate on the more zany stereotypical ASD/Aspergers characters.

Edited by Eggman, 14 April 2016 - 08:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users