http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-36129448

#2 tracky2

tracky2

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 02:52 PM

Now this would benefit my family up here in Scotland, we just don't really go shopping with L much it just overwhelms him, you would think it was a playground the way he acts in asda.

We do a 'toys r us' evening especially for people who have autism up here, but I choose not to go there much anyway or my two would want to buy the whole shop lol. I did support it however and shared it on Facebook.

I would like to see more of this understanding from companies.
It's definitely a step forward.

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:09 AM

Awesome idea hope it benefits loads of families

#4 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 11:59 AM

Mum was telling me about this on the phone this morning.

Noise doesn't really affect LE (he hates discos though and always sits outside) but think it's a great idea.

Mum was also telling me about an ASD Café? She is 84 so gets muddled and wasn't sure if she was saying there was a Café for people with autism or a Café that was run by people with autism.

#5 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,979 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 27 April 2016 - 01:49 PM

Mum was also telling me about an ASD Café? She is 84 so gets muddled and wasn't sure if she was saying there was a Café for people with autism or a Café that was run by people with autism.

I would hope that a cafe run by people with autism would be a good cafe for people with autism.  As a family we enjoy trips to cafes, but our standards are high.  Return visits are only made if food and service are up to scratch.  We have a few good ones scattered around the country.  One worth a mention is the cafe who kindly took back the buttered bacon roll and replaced it with an unbuttered roll because I had forgotten to ask for no butter.( DS had thought to ask, but didn't feel able to!)  It was very busy with take out customers, and the initial response was that there would be a delay; when I assured them it was just a change of roll and the bacon could transfer.they immediately sorted it out.  The lack of fuss really helped DS settle, and a potential crisis was averted.

I've started to take DS into town early on mornings we have to go in as it avoids him getting anxious before hand, and avoids people.  We try to get everything done early with a reward of brunch in a cafe which is still quiet at 10am.   We're fortunate to have access to a museum, library and art centre to pass time if we have an appointment.

The ASDA model would help him as he hates noise; my only concern is that it could be quite busy as so many would prefer fewer announcements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users