Photo

Research: Challenges Parents Face In Applying Behavioural Intervention Strategies

3 replies to this topic

#1 mld

mld

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

Attention: Parents of Children with Autism

I hope it is ok to post this here, but I am looking for parents of children with an Autism Spectrum Disorder to participate in a research study. As part of my Masters of Clinical Psychology degree I am completing a research thesis investigating the challenges parents face in adhering to behavioural intervention strategies- I learnt from my previous work in early behavioural intervention that it is not always easy at times!

The study aims to help identify what behavioural intervention strategies parents find most difficult to apply and why. This information may help clinicians work more effectively with both parents and their children in managing challenges in following behavioural interventions. The study is an online survey, is confidential, anonymous and completely voluntary. It takes no more than 20-30 minutes to complete.

To be eligible for the study, participants must be a parent or caregiver of a child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, and have been given behavioural intervention strategies to follow (e.g. as part of an early intervention program, from a psychologist).

If you are interested in participating in this important research, the link to complete the survey is:  https://uwsssap.co1....eA5zyDdCv38cCWh   

I appreciate how limited your time is and thank you kindly to those who consider participating in this study. Your help is very much appreciated and beneficial.

Michelle 

#2 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

On one of the questions you ask if your child has received any behavioural interventions. When responding with a 'NO' you then go on to still ask what those interventions were etc so unfortunately I gave up half way through.

#3 Prosecco Queen

Prosecco Queen

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

I don't actually know anyone who has ever been given any behaviour strategies to follow !!! Apart from the stupid reward charts when they are about 3 which never ever ever worked with my child!

#4 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Sorry didn't read your post properly and you state you have had to have interventions.

The only intervention we were offered was a parenting course on the day of diagnosis which I refused as I thought it was totally insulting!

I really don't know why they offer these courses and from what I have heard many parents of ASD kids find them totally useless as what works for NT kids doesn't for ours. Oh and as if we haven't tried most of them out anyway. Insulting to our intelligence I think.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users