Jump to content


Paid For Support - Daily Living Skills

  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 deannatrois


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Social Services have agreed to pay a sum of money to pay for some support for my older son.  Its supposed to provide some independent help and support for him - mainly with increasing his daily living skills.


The first agency SS went to didn't have anyone in this area, then social services went to the National Autistic Trust who have an office in this town.  They say they can do 9.5 hours for £17 an hour.  I haven't been told what they will be doing.  Is this normal? It seems quite a lot of money to me?  I wish I could get that lol. I suppose VAT is in there too.


I'm rather surprised I haven't been sent a list of what they will be doing.., they came round and asked loads of questions to assess my son's needs but haven't heard anything since.



Ooops, I suspect I've put this in the wrong place on the forum. He's 20 so perhaps I should have put it in the post 16 section but didn't see it when I looked somehow.

#2 apricot


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Cambridge
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 21 April 2016 - 02:26 PM

You can't tell if its a lot of money without knowing what support they are offering. 17 per hour for a qualified life skills teacher would be good. 17 per hour for a carer with a few days training would be bad.

Once they are over 18, organizations tend to deal with the user by default, and not the parent, so you'll probably need to chase them for any information.

#3 deannatrois


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

Neither my son nor myself have heard anything from them.  I've only heard from the social worker saying they are prepared to provide 9.5 hours support.., no details at all as to what that support is to comprise of. This is my first time, so I am a bit reluctant to agree to anything without knowing what I am signing for?  Maybe this isn't the right attitude (I have ASD myself lol).

Another thing that has come up - my son is now on £126 a week ESA and lives at home. 


I pay more rent and council tax because he is supposed to contribute to these as an independent adult.When we were originally assessed to see what we needed to pay towards this care package, I was told nothing - then he was on the assessment phase of £57 ESA.  Now he is in receipt of higher ESA.., I assume we will need to pay towards this £168 care package.  Does anyone know how this is worked out so I can figure out if we can afford it?


Because he is 20, and has missed two years of level 3 schooling (due to a lack of support being provided), I suspect I am going to be paying for his education as well - and paying out all this money is going to make life quite difficult.  Because I've had to apply to a more distant college, the travelling alone is going to cost £40 a week, with no idea if he will qualify for a bursary now.


SS's are getting a bit pithy with me asking for details of what care is being provided.  I'm quite suprised at the reaction (not be rude in any way I promise you) just asking for copies of what care the provider is prepared to provide for the £168.  When I was in business, you'd never agree to something without knowing exactly what you were agreeing to!(I did work once, many many moons ago). 


I'm on benefits as a carer for them (I have a younger son with ASD as well). I don't work.., well not paid work (work as a carer lol).

Edited by deannatrois, 21 April 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Mozzy


    Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

  • Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,990 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Hiding
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

It's important to remember that the person coming in will not be getting £17 an hour - they are more likely to be getting £7-£11 depending on skills set. Companies have a high hourly rate to cover overheads, training, insurance etc etc.


How much he has to contribute will depend on a variety of things such as his outgoings. It could be between £11 and £70 a week! It does vary. By law they cannot leave a disabled person with less than £154 a week to cover bills, rent, living etc. So decide how much your charging him for rent, bills and towards food if you buy all the food so when they talk to you about it you can say what you charge him (well what he contributes).


It's quite normal to feel in that dark at this stage. Social services have decided the hours he needs. They then have to go to companies to see who can provide it. Each area has a set of "preferred providers" so they will try these first.


Even when a company agrees to take on the package they will (9 times out of 10) come out, meet the person (and their parents or circle of support) and have a chat, do their own assessments. Find out what you / your son wants etc. Do any risk assessments needed (like if he had epilepsy and handling hot objects etc) and then go away and make a final decision.


What will be provided will be down to his assessed needs, him, you and a care provider.

It's usually things like support attending college / adult education (if needed and wanted), cooking, travel training, learning social communication skills (don't talk to big issue sellers etc or at least don't give out personal info). Maybe attending a voluntary work placement. Basically doing the things he wants and needs to do in life. Supporting him to do it and where possible within his capabilities teaching him how to do it alone or with as little support as possible to make him as independent as possible.


I hope that helps, of course every area is different but if you have any other questions please feel free to ask. I get a care package and I work for a local care provider so see situations like this daily in front and behind the scenes!

#5 deannatrois


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

He really needs help with college (dealing with things there) but 9.5 hours a week won't cover that.  At the moment we are concentrating on travelling (increasing coping skills) cooking, increasing his independence.


The NAS came round, did an assessment but no idea what they are planning to provide.  I get the feeling this is a question that isn't often asked.


He gets £126 a week ESA, makes a contribution of £50 a week for keep. Its not rent, he doesn't have a rent book. This helps with the money I now have to pay for council tax and housing benefit because he is regarded as an independent adult (works out between £22-£25 a week).  I still buy a lot of things for him although I am gradually increasing what I expect him to pay for and get for himself with varying degrees of success.  I am gradually working on getting him to budget but at the moment I am saving money from my budget and his money (he spends it) in case fees have to be paid for college and there is no bursary available for high travel costs. I am most assuredly spending more than I receive!


Once he goes to college, his expenses will go up dramatically, but I have no idea at the moment by how much as the college's finance department won't answer any questions and have not even produced their bursary forms for next September. His train fares will cost about £32 a week. He may not have to pay fees, but can't be certain of that.

He also gets mid rate care component DLA and low rate mobility.

Edited by deannatrois, 22 April 2016 - 09:29 PM.

#6 Tangled


    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:43 AM


My son is only 13 so I don't know much about college. I just wondered if he has an EHCP with them covering up to 25 - and whether if he has one it would mean he'd get the help from college above the hours you've been granted for living skills? I have a friend with a son who is almost 18 and who has missed 2 years of college so far after a failed transition (he's ASD/PDA). They now have a EHCP and a package of support in place for an attempt to start at a different college in Sept.

Sorry if this isn't relevant to your circumstances but was just what I thought about reading your posts.

Tangled xx

#7 deannatrois


    Old as the hills

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

No he doesn't. I asked many times about this but even an educational psychologist told me he wouldn't qualify for a statement (as it was then) because he's too intelligent and he isn't in the lowest of the low scores required.  I am now trying to figure out how to get him assessed for an EHCP but as he isn't in education and was't supported to 'doing everything they can' (he received no support whatsoever at the last two post 16 places) level, I don't know how to make the request for an EHCP assessment.  The stuff I am reading online says that you have to be able to say that in spite of educational establishments doing everything they can, he still isn't achieving what he could.


I've tried to find an agency to help me word the request letter but there's no one.  So I'm a bit stuck.  But I think I am going to have to frame the request letter as best as I can and see what happens.  Need it and he's really running out of time. There is no other college within reach doing the course he wants to do so if this course doesn't work, that's it.

#8 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,980 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

I had a look and I think that you should be able to apply for an EHC assessment yourself.  In your request you need to outline the difficulties he faces in education, what previous schools have done, what worked for him.  As he has a DX you should have enough evidence to warrant an assessment of needs.


You can not be too intelligent for a statement, too many people have been told that there child would not get a statement in the past.  the idea of an assessment is to find out what the needs are, and statements  were meant to be for those who's needs could not be met from the school budget.


Look at the IPSEA and SOS SEN websites.

#9 Eggman


    How many posts? Get a life!

  • ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,402 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:58 AM

I wouldn't take too much notice of what an EP says.


All County EP's my son has seen are obviously working with County in mind and saving money and not working for my son. I was told my son wasn't severe enough for a Statement when he was 3 years old. This was a child who was totally out of control. I was also told that I was taking away resources from more needy children.


I told her that their financial accounts were not my concern and that I was going to fight for a Statement for my son. After that she shut up and was actually very helpful to us.


Again had EP out when we were trying to get son into independent school and went through exactly the same thing. Her trying very aggressively to put us off and then actually being rather helpful when she realised we were not going to back down.


I would try EP again but would also suggest you get your own private EP report done if you can. This will help and also make County EP a bit twitchy and more careful if what she advises.

Edited by Eggman, 25 April 2016 - 08:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users