147 replies to this topic

#1 Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Anton du Beke

• Admin
  • 15,916 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:47 PM

POPULAR

I was sitting in the rain the other night, watching a group of disreputable drunks misbehave, and one of them suggested that a thread recognising what the NT siblings have to put up with would be a good idea.

It's a good suggestion - especially since Little Madam and Tiny Flirt have spent the day being beaten up because Little Nutter was unhappy in the car, then having to watch Lazy Town with the sound off because Little Nutter turned it down and screamed blue murder when they turned it back up again.

Now he has emptied the toybox onto the floor and is sprinkling breadcrumbs all over the place and shouting "It's snowing!"

In all, I think that our NT kids have had a miserable day today - but they aren't complaining. They just get on with their life, making the most of the good stuff and shrugging their shoulders when bad stuff happens. And it happens a lot.

They are a lesson to spoiled brats everywhere.
  • Xbongernis, Derlomix, phiplinneks and 266 others like this

#2 Jasmine

Jasmine

8 massive gins and a shag

• Admin
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:13 PM

I want to put in a good word for Ali's NT daughter. We've been staying with them for a few days and this sibling has been fab :D

My son has torn up her books and she justshrugged it off, she's shared her sweets with him and when she found him in the bathroom smearing toothpaste everywhere I caught her washing toothpaste off J's hands and clearing up the mess. I f I hadn't found them she probably wouldn't have said anything so as not to grass him up and get him into trouble with me!! :D

Will post one about my own later

Jasmine xx (Disreputable drunk and Hoff lover)
  • jaquelineba, Jiraffe, Frillitle and 7 others like this

#3 fitzy

fitzy

onwards and upwards

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

Hear hear. My oldest daughter (K) is so fantastic. I have already posted how when at the end of my tether, in floods of tears she came in, unprompted, and took J away (who was laughing in my face at the time), thus saving much bloodshed and prolonged agony.
My pldest son © who every day gets dragged away from whatever he is doing because J has suddenly decided he wants C to play playstation.
The days out we can't have that they put up with, and don't moan too much about.
I could go on and on and on
Thank you for posting this thread.
Love Fiona
  • Jiraffe, Frillitle, Glussyhessy and 2 others like this

#4 Twinkle

Twinkle

LEA Slayer

• The Moderators
  • 8,314 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

I've logged on tonight and this thread could not have come at a better time.

My daughter has 12 (yes you are reading that correctly) other friends around tonight for a sleepover. She cannot count though, I said 4 (but that is another story :angry: ).

Anyway, my daughter has included her brother in virtually everything until it was time for him to go to bed. He's been trampoling with them, having cuddles in the family room with them, watching the dvd, sharing the pizza and I think he thinks he has died and gone to heaven - 12 female teenagers and him. :gareth :gareth :gareth One of the girl's is also going to be his Mentor at senior school in September and she is really good with him and knows all about his ASD as daughter has told her apparently! So I think that he will be paying that particular girl special attention.

For me, this has been a really big breakthrough and I am very proud of her (and her friends). :cry
  • Jiraffe, Frillitle, Glussyhessy and 2 others like this

#5 Yorkie

Yorkie

On the Stella!

• Admin
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

Gives me hope.................. :cry

Bless em all, little stars xxxxxxx
  • Sacsovzc and wasiccoo like this

#6 purpleflutter

purpleflutter

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:37 AM

oooh twinkle what a darlin daughter u have
and as for my nt son, if it werent for him telling gp dd gave him migraines, we would neva have got diagnosis, cos no-one else listened to me :(
as well as living in our mad house he has 2 mates on spectrum, and suports them.
all our kids are lovelry,

#7 lulu

lulu

Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:07 AM

twinkle that is so lovely to hear, dosent surprise me though, your daughter was amazingly tolerant when E invaded her bedroom :whistle

C must have been in heaven :lol:

#8 Kacey

Kacey

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Yeah, so agree with you on this one!! My NT dd is 11 and what she puts up with is unreal. She always looks out for her brother when out playing and is constanlty on her guard incase he does something silly.

We have arranged a holiday where she can swim with dolphins, she is dolphin mad and this has made her year!! So I have spoilt her rotten she so deserves it!!!!
  • wasiccoo likes this

#9 Jill

Jill

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,513 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:17 AM

This is not a sibling story (The Boy is an only) but there is a little girl at his nursery (O) who deserves a mention. She's a little older and only goes there during school hols. She greets us in a morning at nursery, helps The Boy with his PECS, plays with him & involves him in games, gives him cuddles & constantly tells him what a good boy he is. This week she has drawn a lovely picture (pride of place in my kitchen) that is entitled "Friendship" and at the bottom of the picture it says "I hope you have a lovely life".

I've seen him lash out at her & she simply said "no" in a firm voice and turned her back. Within seconds he was cuddling her to say sorry & she immediately cuddled him back. She just seems to know how to be with him.

I met her dad & told him what a wonderful daughter he had & he said he knew she had a little friend at nursery, but he hadn't realised he was autistic because his daughter had never mentioned it. She'd just gone on about how much she liked playing with him & sharing cuddles. This girl has no experience of children with autism, she just naturally seems to know what to do - she could teach the "professionals" a thing or two I tell you.

#10 Phoenix

Phoenix

Beautiful, talented, gifted and deluded.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

Jill that is soo sweet. Some kids just have something that is special.

My DD is one of those too. She is 11 and stuck between her AS sister and her ASD brother. She has always been brilliant. Last week she taught K how to ride a bike. She was so pleased with him, the pride shone out of her. She ran alongside him while he practiced ready to catch him if he fell. Then once he had mastered it she insisted we buy him a new bike coz his one was too small. She didn't care that he was getting a new bike and she wasn't. Then when he got it she helped him get used to riding it. A bigger bike with real tyers and 2 brakes is a lot different to one with hard rubber tyres and a fixed chain. He can now ride it like it's part of him. And I just want to have her achievements recognised. She is a brilliant sister. :wub: :applaud

#11 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:51 AM

Jill that is wonderful!!! You must be so pleased! The girls at J's pre-school are very sweet with him and I apprecite it so much.
x

#12 allure

allure

talks to laundry hampers for fun

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

Jill that is soo terrific! way to go little girl at nursery!! :excellent can she give the schools lessons on how to deal with our asd kids?? :whistle

#13 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,129 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:46 PM

As you will all remember,Rhys was seriously ill in Hospital at Christmas and only attended school part time until 2 weeks before his key stage 2 SATS.

Just to say that he got 85/100 for English (level 5),97/100 for Maths (level 5) and 78/80 for Science (level 5).He doesn't care one way or the other but it was a massive achievement after the previous few months.xx

#14 Clare

Clare

Jetsetting since 1492

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

Well done him.

Bet the whole family is proud! :applaud

#15 lollypocket

lollypocket

Faith, Trust and Pixie Dust