6 replies to this topic

#1 Abbreviation

Abbreviation

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

After reading Mo's horrific tale of her poor boys ordeal when he had his teeth out I have been wondering why does this need to happen. I have just taken dd 10 to the orthodontist as her adult teeth seem to be a long time coming through. He said she had crowding and he would probably at some time need to take out 4 teeth. Dd was horrified although he sort of reassured her it wasn't certain. Dd was asking so many questions on the way home :blink: Like why is her mouth crowded, has she got more teeth than other children, why has she got more teeth than other children, if she keeps all of the teeth will it be bad as she might need them when she is older :rolleyes: So as I didn't have time to ask the man what is it that causes crowding.

#2 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,918 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

http://www.reigate-o...co.uk/index.htm

I can't find the site I found the other day (lil bat has some teeth issues :rolleyes: ) but this was one of the results of a google!
I had 4 teeth out and a brace as a kid and now have very straight (but crumbly :glare: ) teeth!
A x

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,901 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Crowding is caused by 2 main factors, one that effects all of us and one that effects just a few of us.

The first being evolution. Our jaws are becoming smaller as the foods we eat become easier to eat. Meat is bread to be softer and not need as much chewing and we also eat more pasta, rice and so on, things that dont require a huge powerful jaw. Its been happening for 100's of years and will continue to happen very slowly but it does mean that many people cannot fit a full set of teeth in their mouths.

Babby teeth are slower to fall out and adult teeth slower to drop down as again we don't need them as much as we use to in history. If you think baby teeth fall out to make room for big strong hunting teeth but we have no need for such big and strong theeth these days.

There are toher factors as well such as some people's baby teeth just don't fall out and the adult teeth come down. There are thoughts that certain foods in high quantity can effect the way teeth grow by providing them with extra calcium or a poor diet makes teeth weak.

Hope that helps!

#4 fatcat

fatcat

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:21 PM

A.T has all of his teeth,
the dentist was very surprized and said it was very unusal he was 8 at the time
for the past year he has had a small brace at the back of his teeth as they are too squashed he is going to the dentist next week
I will let you know if it has worked or not

Lisa x

#5 bercol1

bercol1

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

My daughter has four teeth growing on the roof of her mouth because there wasn't enough room for them all to fit in.

I hope it all gets sorted and munchkin you are a mind full of information..

B

#6 Abbreviation

Abbreviation

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:41 AM

Thanks all. Munchkin that info was really helpful and I showed it to my dd who was very interested. Pip I went on the link you mentioned which was again v helpful. What they seemed to be saying was teeth extraction was a last resort. What really really p****d me off yesterday was the fact that the dentist thought it was a good idea to talk about this in front of dd. I mentioned on her card that she has an ASD and specific language and communication disorder. He obviously didn't understand as he wanted dd to go into the surgery (upstairs) by herself as he says parents make the children worse. We were sort of disagreeing about this in front of dd which was not a good thing and he did persuade her to go into the surgery by herself. He took x-rays which she was fine with but then scaped her teeth which she said hurt and it made her gums bleed. He said she only made a fuss when I came in :angry: If we have to go down the extraction route, I hope he won't be the one doing it!

#7 Mo

Mo

Biker Chick

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,959 posts
  • Interests:Can't remember but i know i am not forgetful

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:56 AM

I also hope you do not have to go down that route.
I know many parents have had far less traumatic a time than i had but that was something awful last week.

My only advice would be if you do have to go down that route ask the most stupid of questions first and insist on things like pain relief be given before she comes round.
I know she is a bit older so the tooth fairy probably aint so much an issue but if she is curious and wants to see her teeth be warned that she will not get to.

Sorry if i am ranting a bit--this is still a bit of a raw nerve here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users