4 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie

Charlie

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

Both 'A' (ASD) and 'H' (NT) have the same strange arm movements when excitable. Basically, it is a bending, stiffening and slight shaking of the arms, accompanied with upper body and face stiffening. When 'H' was three years old, the pediatrician agreed that is was probably just a tic (the nursery had though she was having petite mals).

The only real difference when 'A' does this and 'H' does it, is that 'A' vocalises at the same time.

Is it possible that this is just a stim as oppose to a stim with 'A'?

The reason I ask, is because since 'A' has started on the risperidone, this behaviour has become more obvious.

#2 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

I can't tell you wnat it is but I can tell you the basic different between a tic and a stim.

A tic is a movement thats uncontrolable. Like a nervous twitch.

A stim is something someone does to stimulate them self or to block out other stimulating things or when they become over stimulated. Like flapping hands in front of face as they like the movement and it excites them or covering ears and humming to block out a sound or bouncing on tip toes (common ASD one) when excited and making a 'happy' noise.

Could one child have learnt it off the other? If not maybe its a medical thing?

#3 Charlie

Charlie

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for your reply Munchkin. I know that 'H' has no control over the behaviour and I would not say that 'A' has copied the behaviour from her. I do not believe that 'A' has control over the behaviour either, but Risperidone is supposed to reduce tics. I guess it is something to discuss with the psychiatrist next week.

#4 sunsetlover

sunsetlover

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hello, my Eve stims, she flaps and makes a hmmmmm noise when she is happy or anixious, if she is tired or angry she bites on her thumb and kind of grunts, just recently Owen has started to stim and flap too, its when he is excited by something.
Alison.xx

#5 BeautifulSpectrum

BeautifulSpectrum

"Bright Eyes"

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • Location:High, lonely hills, where the wind and the sound carry
  • Interests:All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

My daughter has a whole list if stims :) including hums (not a tune), sniffing hair and finger flicking just being some of them.

My son on the other hand has a couple.... throat clearing ...its not as often as my daughters stims but he can go through periods when it can be regular...perhapes moments of stress or excitement. He also does this rather annoying humming whilst eating thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users