#1 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,918 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 19 February 2009 - 10:34 PM

Can any one help?

Lil Bat has always pulled my hair but lately she's started pulling other peoples hair :blink: It's not always intending to hurt (except on me :glare: ) but she can't grade her force and seems attracted to the feel of hair....if you were one of many parents who had a child who's hair was fondled at Bristol zoo yesterday I do apologise! :unsure:

I could really do with a picture or story that helps her understand that she can not play with/ pull / touch peoples hair (uninvited)

This really is getting to be a problem as she is often in a crowded situation and will just reach out and grab any hair she likes the look of within reach :( Also, I would prefer it if my hair remained attatched to my head too....my scalp is getting rather tender!

Thanks,

A x (will bug people about licking and biting another time :whistle )

#2 windy ginny

windy ginny

Miss Marple

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,144 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:22 AM

A story would be good - or a card that you could show her....how do you think Lil Bat will respond to both - how does she respond to stories in general?...

I can help you - I posted a thread on here a while ago about social stories and how to write them...

http://www.asdfriend...p...c=10871&hl=

Pm or FB me....

x

#3 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,882 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

If you want any symbols let me know and I can email them over fr you to make your story with.

#4 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:26 AM

I know on sparklebox they have some nursery rhymes pictures cards u could print out for free....
sparklebox.com

I was thinking of something like Rumplestiltskin (however its spelt) for u...am unsure if sparklebox have it though, i know they had Jack and the beanstalk...

Or I could help u do a story using like smilies if u want....

Edited by Snickas, 20 February 2009 - 09:27 AM.

#5 ben's mum

ben's mum

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

My son has exactly the same issue with hair - he loves the feel of it and pulls everyones hair all the time! He can not judge pressure and does not realise he is hurting other people. This is now becoming a bit of an issue at nursery where other children will shy away from him. I have talked to our Portage visitor about social stories about this as I have heard of them but is yet to try. She suggested taking photos of my sons frinds happy and smiling and then some where they are crying and upset to show him he has made them sad. Not sure how this would work as he is unable to read any body language/facial expression but worth a try I suppose...
A friend of mine also suggested looking at www.sandbox-learning.com for some great ideas regarding emotions etc with some stories and pictures to download. Have had a look and it looks good but my son only responds to photographs and not drawings so would have to adapt it a bit.
Anyway seeing Portage on monday so will ask her to help again.

#6 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,054 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:20 AM

Thats a good idea about using photographs. We're in the process of photographing J.'s world and its good fun :D Even J. is saying "cheeeseee" lol

BUT a friend sent me an application on facebook the other day, its got hundreds of PEC cards on it and even if u don't find something u really need, u can put a request in for a certain picture to be made...there were quite a few hair ones as well...so if u want to add me, i've registered on the asdf facebook, add me and i'll send u the invite for the application :D. I was made up with the application cos it had a few pics which are hard to photograph, like the macdonalds symbol - for dinner out treats, etc...

#7 pipistrelle

pipistrelle

Embrace the clutter.

• The Moderators
  • 8,918 posts
  • Interests:Trying to sleep!

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

Thanks everyone :excellent

WG I may get back to you on the social story. I'm going to try the symbols Munchkin sent (thanks love ;) ) and see how we get on! :unsure:

Sparkle box looks great for education resources.... probably going to use an entire colour cartridge printing when DH isn't looking :whistle

A x

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users