Photo

Disabled Facilities Grant

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sam123

sam123

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hi, i am new to this and just wanted some advice really about the dfg

my 4 year old son is autistic, has adhd and severe learning difficulties, he also has a sensory impairment and delayed speech.

i have applied for a dgf for an upstairs bathroom as i dont have one and my son has lots of night terrors and is incontinent because of this. I need to take him to the toilet but i cant because he wont go downstairs due to his fear and i dont a bathroom upstairs. He has to be supervised at all times so cant go on his own, ialso have 2 other children so cant leave them on their own, one is 18months and the other is 1 month old.

i have also applied for an archway between 2 reception rooms because this will allow me to supervise my son whilst i am in the kitchen and he can let of steam and run around. something he cant do now.

both these 2 things will make my home a safter place for my son

i have been told the dfg's for autistic/adhd children dont usually get accepted!!

can someone help me as to what i could say to try and persuade o.t to say yes? i have an appointment soon......

p.s also does anyone know where i could get any funding with damp proofing? i have tried everything, no one is willing to help, i have to have lived in my house which i own for 3 yrs to get help from council but i havent been there that long....

can anyone help? i am in a desperate situation...

#2 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,145 posts
  • Interests:Escapism

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

We've had a grant for a loft extension in order to provide a room (plus additional bathroom, which we paid for) for our autistic son. It more-or-less maxed the budget of 25k, but it's gorgeous. Our OT did most of the work on getting the grant and presenting it to the panel, so we don't have much experience on how it's done. Can your SW support you and help you to explain the need to the OT?

Interestingly enough, they talked about soundproofing in our meeting last month, and that could have been covered by a new disabilites facilities grant too. We're trying without it first to see if the safespace alone is enough, as we don't want to make adaptations if it's avoidable.

It might be one of those things where the postcode lottery kicks into action, but for us grants have been available for an autistic child.

#3 ANDREA

ANDREA

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi sam123
i am just starting to apply like you.i spoke to the ot and she has sent a form for me to give permission for them to get info ftom his consultant etc etc.i applied for safety things like high handled doors fence at the back that cant be climbed,safe bathroom floor and bath(we have a lovely claw footed bath which is totally unsuitable)as elliot has a water obsession and regularly floods the place.
also wooden floors as he takes his clothes off and wees on the floor-very unhygenic.
the ot sounded a bit perplexed when i was speaking to her.i get so annoyed autism is so common nowadays why dont thee so called experts know nything about it.she asked me if he had any behaviour therapy,in other words cant he just stop wetting himself,cant he just stop pouring juice down the back of the tv???? !!!!!
anyhow we will see what happens.
i tpld her that i was reliably informed that autistic children are entitled to this grant as autism is a life long brain disability.

#4 sam123

sam123

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:56 PM

Hi andrea and miss mac, thanks for the advice...

I have been told that the dfg is usually rejected for children with disabilities like my sons and usually accepted with children with physical disabilities. they told me not to get my hopes up! it really makes me angry because everyday is a struggle at the moment. i have to take the potty up and then my son wont let me come down to empty it! so i have to leave it upstairs all night. i really need a bathroom upstairs but o.t have said that unless there is a safety issue they cant do much! aaaaarhhhh

i'm glad i joined this forum, its good to know that i am not alone...because having an autistic child can really make u feel lonely...

#5 cherryade

cherryade

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

We got a grant for additional bedrooms for ASD kids. Show the OT examples on these boards, some OT's may be inexperienced. Disability is disability. It took me a long time to realise disabled kids are equal, but be prepared for a long wait for work to start.

#6 Kerryb

Kerryb

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

I have 2 children son 5 who is asd and daughter 3 my problem is I live in a 2 bedroomed house would I be able to get a grant to add another bedroom on?

#7 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:28 PM

I don't know. We only got one because our boys couldn't share a bedroom for safety and sleep deprivation reasons. Our daughter (who had to share a room with her NT little brother) turned 10 - and SS don't like mixed gender siblings sharing a bedroom after that age. No grant was available before then as our two NT kids could share a bedroom.

To put it in context a bit as that might help: Little Nutter is low functioning and sleeps for 4 hours a night. He can be violent and has very limited understanding. Sleep deprivation is so bad that our daughter has been forced to board weekly at school since the extension was done, just so she can concentrate at school. For us, it was a severe need. For other families it will be too.

From what I can gather, it seems to be down to the assessor to work out if it's necessary. There are guidelines somewhere online about who qualifies for DFG and for what sort of work. When I get a chance I'll dig around and find the link for you. You can always ask your OT - there's never any harm in that and it might even get the ball rolling.

#8 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:14 PM

I read quite a bit of info about the grants on the Every disabled child matters the other night, if thats any help to you, printed the whole housing section bit out, which actually help you all towards the application process actually. I'll just quickly glance back through it and highlight certain facts for u.

After glancing through, you would be best going to: Every Disabled Child Matters: Housing and downloading and printing off the booklet yourselves. Theres tons of info in it...

Edited by Snickas, 01 May 2009 - 08:51 PM.

#9 sam123

sam123

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:50 PM

what are they like in providing safespaces for example converting a loft into a safespace?

#10 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts
    Stargates
    Star Treks

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:48 PM

I think you would better seeing a OT for that type of info hun. Have you got an OT involved with the family?

#11 sam123

sam123

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

yeah, am o.t will be visiting my son soon along with his social worker but there is a long waiting list!

i thought i would preparemyself b4 the visit...

#12 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,844 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:04 PM

Most of the time they will not allow another room to be built just to be a safe room, they will try and say a bedroom can be made safe with things such as the safe space and so on

#13 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts
    Stargates
    Star Treks

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

Then let her see for herself how much help is needed, it'd be for the best hun. At least then she would give her own version of how much help is needed. You'd prolly find her alot more forthcoming then you realise. If you start by saying well this is needed and things, it might not go the way you want it to go ;) Just tell you have applied for a grant because you've realised alot of health and safety matters now and she should start giving you loads of support then.

#14 Miss Mac

Miss Mac

A National Treasure

• Admin
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 04:35 PM

what are they like in providing safespaces for example converting a loft into a safespace?

Most of the time they will not allow another room to be built just to be a safe room, they will try and say a bedroom can be made safe with things such as the safe space and so on

That links with what happened to us. They explored the option of a safespace for Little Nutter in a bedroom that could then be shared with Tiny Flirt. For all sorts of reasons, that was a non-starter, but that's definitely what they looked at first.

We got the loft extension and then the safespace 2 years apart - they tried other things in his room like wipe clean hospital wall paneling (which was peeled off and shredded) and they enquired into a Cotswold Cot before finally plumping for the safespace. I can't recommend those enough - the one we have has been magic and I wish we'd had it seven years ago. If I'd known how much difference it would have made, I'd have taken out a bank loan for it - they're just amazing.

I don't know if that helps or not. Keep talking to them and keep showing them what life is like for you. There are all sorts of options out there and we've often found that our OT knows the best solutions (ones we hadn't even thought of!). I think Snickas is right. Stick to explaining the problems and the difficulties and they'll suggest solutions.

#15 sam123

sam123

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks a lot for the advice

My son has a lot of health and safety issues as he has no sense of danger and needs supervising at all times. i have a letter from the paediatrician confirming this. Therefore he has a lot of difficulties and everyday life is very very hard as i am a single parent and have 2 other children aswell. I dont have any money saved so i am really hoping that the o.t understands my sons needs and provides some solutions because at the moment i am going crazy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users