6 replies to this topic

#1 Steph

Steph

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi all, we're still waiting on Caleb's DLA decision, but been advised we'll either get middle or high rate care but almost certainly not mobility.

A friend of mine was talking about a car scheme where, instead of recieving money for your DLA, you get a new car and the DLA goes straight to make the payments for it, but you get the car straight away. She said it takes 3 yrs to pay off the car, at which point you can either keep said car and start paying MOT, or continue giving up the DLA cash for another brand new car.

Has anyone heard of this, and if it does exist is it based on Mobility or Care componant, or both? We have a car right now, but it probably won't pass MOT next year. We could trade it in but if there's a possibilty of getting a newer car we would like to look at that as an option?

Thanks in advance,

S

#2 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,894 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Its called the motability scheme

http://www.motability.co.uk

It is only avaliable to those who get HIGH rate MOBILITY DLA, you cannot use the care side of DLA to pay for it.

Basically you swap your mobility DLA for a car, yes its a brand new car and everything is included, tax, MOT, insurance, servicing, parts, everything.

You pick the car from a list (we picked a Ford Focus C-Max) and went for the next model up which meant we had to pay 150 of our own money as a one off payment. But the basic models require no up front payment.

After the 3 years your right you can either buy the car for a good price or get another new one as long aqs you still get DLA High Rate Mobility. The car is not free after the 3 years you do have to pay for it.

The money they take from your DLA each month is not towards buying the car its more like renting the car.

Its a very good scheme. But you need to think about it long and hard.

You don't often get your car as soon as you sign up, the paperwork can take a week or so then as the car is brand new it has to be ordered. Ours took 3 months from the time of choosing it to getting it.

You also need to think about what type of car you want. We went for the c/max because of my spinal injury a higher car is easier for me to get in and out of and it also has a big boot for my wheelchair.

Have a look at the link I posted that will answer your questions better then me LOL

#3 MAA2G

MAA2G

Jo - MAA2G

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

As Munchkin has said, you need the highest rate of DLA Mobility to qualify for this scheme, basically you swap the money for a rental agreement for 3 years. After 3 years you either buy the car at a good price from the dealer or put in for a new car. Most people swap their car every 3 years and have their insurance, no mot's, services for free, so they only have to pay out for fuel. :)

Lots of people get confused about this scheme, an awful lot of people think it's just a free car for themselves.

There are pit falls. Different cars require different deposits and some take a while to get delivered in, I know someone that waited 5 months for their car and then it was the wrong spec and they waited a further 2 months. You have to pay extra for the extras, they don't come as standard. Any damage, you have to pay for at the end of the 3 years, such as scratches, dents etc, it all has to be paid for, even if you leave the interior dirty, you get charged for the cleaning. At the end of the day these dealers have to sell the car on, so their best kept in tip top condition, and some dealers are worse than others about these things, it all varies from dealer to dealer.

And there are up shots, the insurance is covered, your services are covered, no mot's needed as it's a new car, new tyres are covered, so all you have to cover is the fuel and making sure its kept clean and tidy and running smoothly (report any faults).

#4 Steph

Steph

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

I figured it was high rate mobility only. We'll never qualify. I could probably wait until Caleb's five and fight like hell for it, but I have a sneaky suspision we'd still be refused. The only thing 'wrong' with Caleb is the autism, and I can't see that being enough for them to grant high rate mobility.

Thanks the same guys!!!

S

#5 Annie 9

Annie 9

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

Steph-
Never say never - we've just been awarded HR mobility for F ( had to take it to appeal though) . F has moderate ASD. There's an excellent guide to claiming HR mobility on the NAS website - might be worth a look nearer the time.

Annie x

#6 PAC

PAC

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

Hi,

You can try and claim for the high rate dla and mobility componement when your child turns 3.

My Husband used this site to fill in DLA and mobility forms, we got it on our first try.

Higher rate if your child needs more care than a normal child after 11pm of night.

Mobility if your child is liable to bolt while out.

We applied in the May when K turned 3 but didn't get a decission until October.

Just have a little search on making life easier to get a general idea if any of it applies to your situation.

good Luck

#7 karen pearce

karen pearce

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

I figured it was high rate mobility only. We'll never qualify. I could probably wait until Caleb's five and fight like hell for it, but I have a sneaky suspision we'd still be refused. The only thing 'wrong' with Caleb is the autism, and I can't see that being enough for them to grant high rate mobility.

Thanks the same guys!!!

S

i think you should get some help with appealing against the decision and fight for the higher rate, my son was born deaf and we had to fight (with help from the NDCS) but got middle rate care and lower rate mobility, he has been getting assessed for 3 yrs and we just got a diagnosis for asd and aspergers, we have been told that we have to fill the forms out again because he needs have changed!!! we are getting help from our social worker this time to avoid any confusion!
hope this helps good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users