Photo

Carers Allowance Twice?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sam123

sam123

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Hi all,

Can anyone please help me......i just want to know if i can carers allowance twice if i have 2 children with asd? or do i just get carers allowance once?

i have 2 children with asd and on middle dla care. i only get carers for one child. should i apply for carers for my other child as he has recently been diagnosed?

#2 Maverick

Maverick

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:46 PM

Not positive but think you can only claim it once xx

Edited by Maverick, 14 December 2009 - 09:46 PM.

#3 tedybearr

tedybearr

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

no ,you can only get one lot but if there is another adult that looks after one of them i think but not 100% that they can claim for it. i'm sure some-one will correct me if i'm wrong.

#4 sam123

sam123

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:50 PM

no ,you can only get one lot but if there is another adult that looks after one of them i think but not 100% that they can claim for it. i'm sure some-one will correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice guys.....
Does the other adult have to be living at the same address as the child?

#5 tedybearr

tedybearr

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

not too sure but dont think so as long as they are caring for them at least 16 hrs a week i think.I maybe completely wrong here though so i would suggest you ring carers allowance ppl and enquire.

#6 iggy

iggy

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

another person can claim if they look after the child for 30+hours a week, i look after 3 children and only receive one carers allowance, with more and more people having 2 or more disabled people to look after, this should be looked at, I'm exhausted most of the time, i work harder than anyone with a full time job, nor that i would have it any other way i love looking after them and if there were no carers or DLA i would still devote my life to them

Edited by iggy, 14 December 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#7 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

I have 2 sn children, but you are only allowed to claim carers once so only for one of them.

Someone else will have to claim if thats what you want, i am pretty sure that they dont have to live there but they do have to care for about 35 hours a week though.

They also cant earn more that 95 a week i think.

#8 Steph

Steph

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:50 AM

Carer's Centre are looking at this, they are campaigning against it because, to their mind, if you work two full-time jobs (35 hrs per week) you earn two wages.

PP are correct, anyone can claim CA if they look after the child for 35 hrs per week and earn less than 90, but it can impact on other benefits. They also ask if the person applying for CA recieves Child Benefit for that child, I'm not sure why they ask that, probably just so the person claiming CB knows that the other person is applying for CA.

#9 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,880 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:10 AM

Carer's Centre are looking at this, they are campaigning against it because, to their mind, if you work two full-time jobs (35 hrs per week) you earn two wages.

They will not win because the impact would be huge if they did it would give WORKING carers the right to claim too.

We had this argument some years ago because Ratchet clearly cared for over 35 hours a week for me;

5am till 7am daily Mon to Fri thats 10 hours
6pm till 11pm daily Mon to Fri thats another 25 hours
At least 1 hour per night 7 days a week, thats 7 hours
Plus all day Sat and Sun thats 36 hours

So in total he cared for me for 78 hours a week at least not including texting and phoning from his job.

Anyway he pushed not because he needed or wanted the money but because he thought it unfair he had no recognition as a carer, there were also other issues like all local carers support meeting being during the day so again he could not attend.

My social worker backed him 110% but the answer they all got from the benefits people and goverment and so on was that carers allowance was NOT payment for caring it was to cover extra expenses that carers face and that non-working carers may struggle to meet these extra costs without this benefit. They also said that many carers find it impossible to work. Ratchet was a bit angry by this remark and reminded them he had changed him job to allow himself to be a carer and in the process had lost over 3000 a year in income. They had no answer to this. He pushed his point that he was just as tired physically and emotionally as any other carer and did just as much as them but because he managed to hold a job down he was in a sense not classed as a carer.

He never got an answer he was happy with and neither did the social worker but they would not change the rules so I very much doubt they will change the rules to allow one person to claim carers allowance for 2 people.

Personally I feel that anyone should be able to claim dispite income, if they choose to work and so on. As for if one person should be able to claim twice, not sure!

#10 iggy

iggy

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

these are the carers rates in the south of ireland (maybe i should move, i'm about 20 miles form the border)

Carer's Allowance rates from January 2010:

Carer Maximum weekly rate
Aged under 66, caring for 1 person 212
Aged under 66, caring for 2 or more 318
Aged 66+, caring for 1 person 239
Aged 66+, caring for 2 person 358.50
Increase for a Qualified Child

29.80 (full-rate)

14.90 (half-rate)

#11 Steph

Steph

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:26 PM

these are the carers rates in the south of ireland (maybe i should move, i'm about 20 miles form the border)

Carer's Allowance rates from January 2010:

Carer Maximum weekly rate
Aged under 66, caring for 1 person 212
Aged under 66, caring for 2 or more 318
Aged 66+, caring for 1 person 239
Aged 66+, caring for 2 person 358.50
Increase for a Qualified Child

29.80 (full-rate)

14.90 (half-rate)

You'll have to dumb down for me. Is that a month? How is a child 'Qualified' for the increase?

Why is the rate dependant upon the age of the carer?? Or is that the caree?

What is all that in pounds?

#12 iggy

iggy

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:21 PM

Thats a week, dunno why it's dependant on age and £1 Equals about Euro 1.10 atm

on the other hand their dla rates are much poorer most of the money goes to the carer, but there carer's allowance is actually a wage rather than the disaster it is for carers here

Edited by iggy, 15 December 2009 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users