11 replies to this topic

#1 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

Isaac was awarded middle rate care just before he was 3, the dla said they would write to me again when he was 3 to see if I could claim mobility. I rang them today and they are going to send me the forms but I am a little confused. The lady I spoke to on the phone said I would need to show that he needs more care and attention when he is out than another child his age, that isn't a problem, he spends most of his time in the buggy because he either just legs it or if he does walk nicely holding my hand (which is a rareity) after a couple of minutes he complains that his legs and tummy hurt. He has seen the OT who have said that he has hypermobility throughout his body, low muscle tone and poor core stability which is what causes his pains. They are referring him for a major buggy as he still really needs to use a buggy but is getting too big for his. The thing I am worried about is that he does meet the criteria (lady on the phone said that) but she also warned me that they will review his DLA, and if they think his care has changed then it may go down or stop. In my opinion his care hasnt changed but I am worried if I apply for the mobility then they will decide it has, I was lucky with my initial claim and had an award in 2 weeks but I have heard such horror stories from people on here about appeals and tribunals and I just done think I could cope with all of that, is it best to just leave things as they are for now and manage without the mobility or should I claim as I really do believe he is entitled to it :unsure:

#2 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:02 AM

I understood that mobility at 3 was considered for those with Higher rate care and that,for otihers,t was considered at 5.However,the rules might have changed.

If you are sent all the forms,just write 'No change' throughout all the care questions.that's what I was told to do by the DWP. I think TBH,they try to put people off by saying that everything will be reviewed. xx

#3 Steph

Steph

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

The lady on the phone shouldn't have told you he qualifies for mobility IMO. I'm not saying he doesn't qualify but there are two rates, the lower rate which means the child needs additional supervision when out and about, or help with communication etc, and that you cannot apply for until he is 5 years old. Only the Higher Rate can be applied for when the child is 3 and it means the child is unable or virtually unable to walk. It is possible to get for an ASD child but is notoriously difficult and you will definitely need input from an agency like Cerebra or CAB (though I always root for Cerebra).

The DLA will want you to prove that he has very frequent paralysis of will, together with severe mental impairment and severe behavioural problems. Its not impossible and I'm not saying you aren't entitled at all, but she shouldn't have told you it would be awarded as loads of people have to go to tribunal to get it.

You can just write on the 'Care' forms 'Needs unchanged' as long as his award isn't up for renewal and the only reason you are sending in forms is because of the mobility componant.

#4 cammymum

cammymum

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

Me reading your post it really sounds like your son should be entitled. I have just sent off for my son 3 weeks ago, he is on high care rate and i did not fill in the care part again i just said ' high care needs remain unchanged' throughout the form and included a letter informing them that they had told me this was ok to do, which they did!

My first claim for care was decided and paid into my bank within 9 days! I am very aprehensive this time around as like you have read many horror stories. I am expecting them to turn him down as i have read that they do this for a lot of autistic children applying for high rate mobility claiming they ' make a conscious choice' IF they come back and state this to me we will appeal and go to tribunal if need be.

I would not redo the care part, just make it clear things havent got easier, and lots of luck!

#5 CarerQuie

CarerQuie

Pillar of the Community

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,097 posts
  • Interests:Married with 6 children.Parenting issues,education,ASD.

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Children need to be getting HR care to be considered for HR mobility,too. xx

#6 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Children need to be getting HR care to be considered for HR mobility,too. xx

I am a bit confused, does that mean that only children getting higher rate care can get higher rate mobility, my friends little boy is 8 and he gets mid rate care but higher rate mobility, or is it just for children below 5?

Thanks

#7 Mozzy

Mozzy

Autism is just the modern word for Jedi Knight!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts
  • Interests:Art and crafts
    Computers
    Games
    DVDs
    My super pets
    Chatting on MSN

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:57 PM

Goverment guidelines

Your child must need a lot more help or supervision than other children of the same age.

You can claim for care needs before a child is aged three months, but benefit will not be paid before the child reaches the age of three months unless they are paid under 'special rules' (see below).

You can claim for mobility needs from:

•age three, if your child is unable, or virtually unable, to walk or would be at risk if they tried to walk
•age three, if your child is both 100 per cent disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80 per cent disabled because of deafness
•age three, if your child is severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualifies for the highest rate of care component
•age five, if your child needs guidance or supervision when walking out of doors

#8 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Munchkin, that explains it a bit better, it would appear from that, that he would not be entitled to get it and we should maybe reconsider when he is 5.

#9 anita21

anita21

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

Hi,

Dont know if this helps clear up the issue of having to receive high rate care to get high rate mobility, but my little girl is 4 and was receiving middle rate care and then 6 months ago I did a change of circumstance and applied for the mobility part. She was awarded high mobility to run out the same time as her middle care award (2013). Hope this helps
x x x

#10 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

Dont know if this helps clear up the issue of having to receive high rate care to get high rate mobility, but my little girl is 4 and was receiving middle rate care and then 6 months ago I did a change of circumstance and applied for the mobility part. She was awarded high mobility to run out the same time as her middle care award (2013). Hope this helps
x x x

Thanks Anita, that does help, maybe I will complete the dreaded forms then.

#11 anita21

anita21

Just arrived (be nice to me!)

• ASDf Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:35 PM

Yes do it :)

I had been "thinking" about it for a year but was worried about loosing her care award and now I wish I had done it sooner, I think we only got the high mobility because of her hypermobility and not her Autism, and im now dreading the renewal lol, all the best
x x x

#12 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for that, I did the form last night and sent it off today, I just crossed through the care forms and wrote "care needs remain unchanged" as his original award was only February and nothing has changed since then except that he has seen the OT and so I sent off a copy of their report with it, hopefully I will hear soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users