Photo

Dla - High Vs. Low Rates? And More Questions...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mummy_dearest

mummy_dearest

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:34 PM

Just found these rates on the DLA website and I am so confused!

Care component
Weekly rate
Highest rate £73.60
Middle rate £49.30
Lowest rate £19.55

Mobility component
Weekly rate
Higher rate £51.40
Lower rate £19.55

What is the difference between a care component and a mobility component? Do you get one or the other? What qualifies LO for higher versus lower rates? Basically, it seems to be all the info that I put on my form to 'present' DS's diabilities which will put then put me in a category, is that right? I am so confusedand am finding it tough as DS is only 23 months!

If any of you feel like sharing which category you were placed in for your LO with ASD, that would be so helpful... I'd love to have an idea as to whether I can afford to put LO into a few hours per week of ABA therapy with the money if it should come through.

Oh, and carers allowance is a flat rate for everyone, right? But I can only get it once I begin receiving DLA, I think? Just about to tackle this dreadful form and feeling a bit intimidated! Many thanks, fellow parents!

#2 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

To be perfectly honest I think it is all down to how you complete the form and then more to the point, who gets it at the other end, you will need help in completing the form, I know a lot of people on here use the cerebra guide, I had a friend who is a SENCO help me to do mine, basically you need to highlight all the areas in which your child needs help over and above a 'normal' child of their age. We were awarded middle rate care just before Isaac's 3rd birthday, he was still in nappies, ran off when we were out, couldnt communicate his needs, would talk to complete random strangers, if he ever got separated from us whilst we were out he would not have been able to communicate his needs to a stranger, infact he would either have totally shut down and gone into his own little world or probably just disappeared off on his own somewhere, there are lots of other things too. Mobility allowance you cannot claim until your child is 3 although it is unlikely that you would get it at this age as it is only awarded at higher rate from the age of 3, at 5 you can get lower rate depending on their ability to get around.

Good luck with the forms, they are awful to fill in xx

#3 maximus prime

maximus prime

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:56 PM

I'd recommend you use this http://www.cerebra.o...pport/DLA_guide to help you fill the form in.

This http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch61.pdf helps you understand the criteria that determines the level of the awards.

Hope this helps

#4 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hi there.

My son is diagnosed with autism (although CP said he was at the HF end of the spectrum).

We were awarded High Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility.

I didn't use any of the sites although I understand that they are very helpful. Sometimes it can be difficult to put into words what you want to say so I am sure they are very useful for that.

I didn't have this problem lol as I could have wrote a book on James.

I just wrote exactly what his difficulties were and that's what I was awarded.

Yes there is one flat rate for Carers but I think you need to be awarded Middle Rate or Higher in the care element to claim it.

Good luck with your application and if you get stuck on a question let us know they can be tricky to complete if you've never done it before.

#5 loobyloonharibo

loobyloonharibo

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:12 PM

We were awarded High Rate Care and Lower Rate Mobility.

My son dx of Autism, hypermobility, hypotonia and tons of sensory/global dx's too and got the same as scousemouses son

Good luck with the forms hun x

#6 miami girl

miami girl

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,724 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

SM is right about the carers, and if you work you have to earn less than £100 a week I believe.

Just fill the form in on how it is day to day, and they will award what they think.

If you got any reports, dx papers, up to date send them in too, it all helps for them to get a clearer picture.

#7 Eggman

Eggman

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:18 PM

Sorry thought I should clarify slightly although not sure if it made any difference to my award.

James has other difficulties apart from autism and has now quite a list and all of these were stated on the claim. He is a child who has complex needs I suppose you could say.

I guess each of his difficulties impact in different ways and may have added up to a higher award but I don't know if that was the case.

IMO his autism is the most disabling condition he has.

#8 happyeverafter

happyeverafter

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:28 AM

I was awarded middle rate when my child was two he had speech delay and development delay. This was increased to higher when he was 4 then he was diagnosed autism, global delay amongst others. Mobility is generally issued to autisic children (safety and superivision) after the age of 5 unless the have mobility issues. It took me a while to write the forms but the bset advice is to be brutally honest. When he was two it was the form that sort of brought acceptance to the needs of my son.

#9 tedybearr

tedybearr

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:19 AM

When B was dx'd adhd aged 7 he was awarded m/r care, since he was dx'd asd last Nov he now recieves h/r care and l/r mobility.

#10 Petalpie

Petalpie

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:41 PM

Beanie got middle rate care, aged 2yrs 3 months :)

#11 mummy_dearest

mummy_dearest

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks all! I had no idea that I'd even have to wait for his dx to file... Had the HV round today who told me to file straight away, but to make sure I had help in filling out the forms as there are some good 'code words' to use to further the case. When and if the dx is complete, I assume I just revise the info, does that seem right?

#12 kwjd

kwjd

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:32 PM

We have just been awarded dla for my son with autism highter rate care, lower rate mobility, So Im very pleased. i have also been told you can claim if you recieve child tax credits that is extra too so its an idea to look into it..

#13 tedybearr

tedybearr

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users