Photo

Mild Birth Defects Such As Hypospadias.......

6 replies to this topic

#1 doodledandy

doodledandy

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:37 PM

I was reading today that birth defects could be more common in kids with ASD of varying sorts.

I think my son has Aspergers (he certainly has a lot of tendencies) and he has hypospadias. It is mild and didn't require any surgery or anything.

I just came across a link when i was reading a wiki article about aspergers. I've never considered that they could be linked or that birth defects are more common in children with ASD.

There were some other interesting things in a report i found that a higher number of mums had morning sickness when pregnant with a child with Aspergers. I have severe morning sickness (hyperemesis).

Also that mothers who had xrays in early pregnancy. I was so ill with morning sickness that i fainted once in my high school (i had just left and was visiting friends there) and i landed flat on my back, hitting the back of my head very hard. I had concussion on top of the sickness and was xrayed because the pain in my head was so bad. This was in the early stages of pregnancy, just before the 3 month mark i think.

Makes me wonder if these are significant? And should i mention them at my appointment with CAMHS if they ask about the pregnancy/birth? Should the hypospadias be mentioned too?

I don't want them to think that i am deliberately giving information that could imply that i think he has aspergers and that i have researched it.

Sorry that went a bit off topic there. Does anyone else's children have a mild birth defect such as hypospadias?

#2 lennie len

lennie len

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,719 posts
  • Interests:Art,painting,making costumes,gardening,being outside,observing<br />tra la la,music,yamaha keyboards,ferrets and cats,and probably more :)

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

I have never had dealings with CAMHS (although first visit on Friday for eldest), but if they're anything like other professionals I would think they would ask about medical history (including hypospadias), pregnancy etc, if the appointment is for possible assessment for ASD.
These questions were asked by I can't for the life remember who it was (seen many professionals) for my middle son prior to ASD assessment.

My eldest has birth defects caused by her syndrome and she has finally been re-referred for ASD assessment.

#3 doodledandy

doodledandy

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I have never had dealings with CAMHS (although first visit on Friday for eldest), but if they're anything like other professionals I would think they would ask about medical history (including hypospadias), pregnancy etc, if the appointment is for possible assessment for ASD.
These questions were asked by I can't for the life remember who it was (seen many professionals) for my middle son prior to ASD assessment.

My eldest has birth defects caused by her syndrome and she has finally been re-referred for ASD assessment.

We have our first appointment with CAMHS on friday too. Good luck!

#4 miss-understood

miss-understood

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:28 AM

I wasnt asked much about ds2 TBH, he not diagnosed (though being assessed), but with he and ds1 terrible mornng sickness and bleeding in pregnancy

Ds3 has hypspadius, he will have an op' at some point, keeps being cancelled, he is NT.

Make a note, you know what TBH you can't win, you don't know anything,you don't care, you know too much, you have read too much and are looking for things?! Seems to be the way...
  • imperfect parent likes this

#5 Andrew's Mum

Andrew's Mum

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

My son is 3 and is currently being assessed (developmental assessment tomorrow) for ASD, I too had an xray of my stomach before I knew I was pregnant. The hospital did a pregnancy test before the xray which they said was negative then the next day they did another test which was positive. I was asked about this in our first meeting to discuss Andrew's background.

Not sure if the xray was relevant or not but they did ask about it.

#6 jesm

jesm

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Walking my Dogs - a Lurcher and a Cairn Terrier,

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:09 PM

I was born with an undeveloped breast and the other was tubular, as a female. Had to be treated with surgery. I do wonder if my hormones (with the depression as well) are out of whack!

#7 Halo Mumma

Halo Mumma

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

With Isaac I had terrible morning sickness that lasted all day and all night, he has had surgery for hydroceles, the consultant did say that he sees a lot of ASD children with hydroceles or hernias although Isaac wasnt actually dx at the time, he also has a heart murmer which is caused by a faulty valve in his heart, it is called bicuspid aortic valve, no idea whether that is related. He also had a squint which has now been corrected but the opthalmologist did tell me that squints are very common in children with ASD

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users