Photo

Sending Extra Evidence For Dla Application

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tiredrobot

tiredrobot

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

We posted our DLA form earlier in the week and typically have just received a medical report from the physio, I would like to send it in as it obviously has everything stated in much better terms than I managed on the form!

Do I just post it to the same address I sent the dla form to with a brief cover letter?

Also they have got her name slightly incorrect on it but her nhs number and date of birth are on it, should that matter?

Sorry if I am asking obvious questions, I just want to do it right first time, I have been feeling very out of my depth recently.

• imoutlet, Elerpluspenue, OlgushaSunQU and 3 others like this

#2 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

yeah, just send them an adjoining letter with her name, dob and national insurance number at the very top of both letters.

I think they're used to spelling mistakes tbh.

If you want to be extra cautious, ring them and just explain you've recieved a physio report since sending form and you wqould like to inbcude it with the application. That way they will know to expect it IYKWIM

#3 tiredrobot

tiredrobot

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Thank you Snickas!
Also, if it is ok to ask, I notice on your sig that your youngest has hypermobility, it was noted on the letter we received that my dd has a score of 3 on the Beighton Scale of hypermobilty, I have googled it and it is unclear to me whether or not this is anything to be concerned about, the main part of the report itself is about something else, this is just in there with the other measurements etc. She did have a full check up by the physio at the appointment but this was not mentioned at the appointement so I am guessing it is ok? I wondered if you were able to answer, sorry to be a pain! They only have an answerphone number to ring.

#4 Snickas

Snickas

is in another galaxy

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,061 posts
  • Interests:Astrophysics
    Stargates
    Star Treks
    I'm a huge space freak! lol

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

J's Beighton Scale score was 11, as he has it in his ankles, knees, hips, fingers, wrist, elbow. On this page: http://hypermobility...brighton-score/ (i always use hypermobility.org for info) it says Scale 3 is minor so I can imagine she still finds it a bit painful (do you know which joints she suffers with it mostly?).
The pain scales with hypermobility and autism can be a bit dicey at the best of times...some of our kids don't have the same pain receptors as some/most NT's. Others can be oversensitive IYKWIM, every child is different.
In J's sense, he rarely ever says hes sore BUT he can only actually walk about 10 to 20yards pain-free. After that, hes all over the place, shuffling his weight on one hip to the other, hobbling, etc. I will say to him "are you sore hunnie?" and he always says "am ok mummy" because he strives to be able to do more. Its so hard to watch because you can see the pain in him physically (his face goes pale, goes fatigued, etc). We have to use a wheelchair with J, as i say, we can only get, at most, 20yards pain free. And then we can't sit still for too long as thats equally painful for him because his joints get stiff.
He see's physio, but she helped advised some exercises for his hip joints and sorts insoles out for his shoes (as hes flat footed as well, with a high instep), but, frustratingly does little else to ease his discomfort :JM:

Paed additionally diagnosed him with joint pain and fatigue in relation to hypermobility, so other people are aware its quite bad with J. We did think he had child arthiritis this time last year, but blood tests came back clear, so paed insisted on going the route he went.

We've found microwave wheat packs an absolute godsend with J. Especially last thing at night (settling him in bed to sleep) and waking him up (as hes most stiff and sore then), otherwise it takes us about 20-30mins to get him up and down the stairs. And we use a teddy wheat pack for his fingers, arms, elbow and shoulders (giving bunny big hugs).

Doe she suffer with it a great deal??? Does she verbalise her discomfort?

There is now a forum on hypermobility.org that may be of some help for you? here: http://www.hypermobi...forum/index.php
they may be able to give a bit more advice, not sure as I've only just discovered they've finally got it up and running :blush:

Edited by Snickas, 28 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

We posted our DLA form earlier in the week and typically have just received a medical report from the physio, I would like to send it in as it obviously has everything stated in much better terms than I managed on the form!

Do I just post it to the same address I sent the dla form to with a brief cover letter?

Also they have got her name slightly incorrect on it but her nhs number and date of birth are on it, should that matter?

Sorry if I am asking obvious questions, I just want to do it right first time, I have been feeling very out of my depth recently.

I would also send it Recorded Delivery.

#6 tiredrobot

tiredrobot

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Thank you so much for your post, I was in tears reading about your little boy, what a brave, amazing little chap he sounds!
I will look through the info on the website you linked to now, she only gets pain in her ankles and feet, she has one collapsed arch and another that is a little less collapsed, the pain was put down to that?
I wonder if I need to go see her gp again as physio have referred her for orthotics, given her exercises and discharged her but mentioned getting an OT assesment. She generally does not feel pain much at all, apart from on her scalp where she is very sensitive indeed, so usually she only complains about very painful things, but she does struggle a lot with this foot and ankle pain, she needs to sit a lot when walking.
Her older AS brother can bend his fingers backwards to his wrist, I have 'weak ankles' and am always going over on my ankles so I wonder if there is a little of something else going on, thankfully not too serious, but worth looking into. Thank you so much for your insight and help!

Thank you Eggman, that is a good point as I have copied it for my file at home, but will send the original.

My post above is so unclear, I mean she does get and complain about a lot of pain in her feet/ankles. For most other things she feels little pain (has blood tests without batting an eye, has never cried for a scrubbed knee even when little, lives in shorts even in cold weather etc)

#7 Eggman

Eggman

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hi again.

Are you sure about sending the original document and just keeping a copy for yourself?

I always keep the originals.

Not sure what everyone else does though.

#8 tiredrobot

tiredrobot

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

Update:

We have received a DLA payment into the bank today. It is just over 8 weeks since they received the form for anyone who needs an idea of timescales! I have not had the letter yet so I am unsure of what rate, it cannot be lower rate as it is too much.

We do not yet have an ASD diagnosis, although DD does have other medical issues and an ADD diagnosis.

To anyone reading this who is unsure about applying, as I was, I would say just go ahead, get all the reports and evidence you can, grit your teeth and fill in the horrible long form! It might well be worth it. The information on this forum is invaluble, I had so many tabs open in my browser while I filled in the form!

I am so, so relieved, it is really going to help. I am exhausted after a really bad few weeks and seeing this payment today has given me a bit of a boost (also DD was actually asleep before midnight last night!).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users