Photo

Just When I Thought It Couldn't Get Worse

4 replies to this topic

#1 myst1c1

myst1c1

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:41 PM

I posted early yesterday about managing to fill in a Social Responsiveness Scale test for my 9 year old son, as he is going through all the tests for autism at the moment after having problems from nursery.  He is currently only in school for and hour and a half a day, gradually trying to build it up.

Anyways, went into the nursery to drop no.2 son off (he's 4) and thought I would have a chat with the head of the nursery as she had mentioned about deferring him school this year and wanted to ask her reasons why.

Bombshell!!  Turns out that my wee "quirky" little boy, who is a sensitive little soul, is to be statemented before going to school as between her and the rest of the staff they think he is autistic too.  Thing is I kind of knew in my heart, but with J being aggressive and violent and school refusing, my wee baby got forgotten about.

I feel so bad that I havent been noticing what he is going through as well.  Sooo, appointments galore coming through for him as well as J.  Beginning to feel like I am living groundhog day.   :help:

#2 PAC

PAC

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I think as a mum we do like to bury our heads in the sand a little. When they are passive and amenable think it is easier for it to be missed.

My dd was dx last May and she is 10 now. My oldest son is going to CAHMs in a couple of weeks and my youngest son in April. K was dx at 2.

So think I know a little how you feel,, school is the one that has asked for O one to be done.

It does get overwhelming so try to take some time for you to process it all.

Good Luck

PAC

• myst1c1 likes this

#3 Tangled

Tangled

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, exercising.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

Take some time to let it all sink in. I think, in part, ASD type behaviours/traits become our normal as we deal with them (intensely) day in day out. It was probably more difficult because of this to spot things in your little one. He is still young and it sounds like you are going to get help from nursery etc. try not to feel bad, we are all human and can only do so much at once. You're there to listen to nurseries comments and from what you have written obviously care very much for both your children.

Take care xx
  • myst1c1 likes this

#4 frogger

frogger

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 07:25 AM

It sounds like you have everything happening at once...it's very tough on you. Do you have anyone who can support you with the appointments and who you can talk to? It's a lot to get your head round isn't it? My 3 year old has autism and was diagnosed in July last year. Then, my 5 year old was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in October and I really thought I wouldn't cope. I still go to counselling every 2 weeks and my counsellor has been happy to take a lower payment as I can't really afford it. But I can't afford not to go either as it's the only place I can cry and grieve. And although the appointments are ridiculously frequent and we stand out more than ever when we're out, I am coping and feel more confident. Please give yourself time to grieve and try to take it one appointment at a time. You're being a great mum to your kids and although it'll take time to adapt to all that has happened, you will get through. And lean on us for support any time. Big hugs.xx

• Tangled and myst1c1 like this

#5 myst1c1

myst1c1

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Thank you for all your kind comments, am feeling a bit better today. 

Just needed to get my head around it all again.  He's still the same child as he was last week and the week before lol.  He still cute and funny and makes me laugh, and still annoying as ever when he stims for an hour or more at a time making funny noises and running and jumping in a pattern.  :celebrate:

• Snickas and Tangled like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users