Photo

Residential Placement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Indigo

Indigo

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

My son is in a fantastic ASD school that we fought very hard to get him into. The school is a mixed day / boarding school. My son is a day pupil as we only live around 35 minutes away and he gets a taxi. However he is desperate to board. We were refused last year by the LA but are appealing the statement again this year. As I understand it we need to make a case that he needs a waking-day curriculum on educational grounds (not social or health grounds). My question is has anyone succesfully gained a residential place and how do you prove a legal requirement for a waking day curriculum. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Indigo, 10 May 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#2 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

The costs of boarding are high, roughly double the cost of a day placement in the school my son went to so that is a good reason for an LA not to want a child to board.

Look carefully at why your son wants to board, are there any unmet needs which boarding would meet?  Would it integrate him better with his peer group or does he struggle with transitions?

I know that day pupils often feel like second class pupils, and are not well integrated with boarders.  That is something that needs to be taken up with the school, sometimes it's possible to more involvement for a  day pupil.

You refer to his statement not EHCP,  has your statement not been converted yet?

#3 apricot

apricot

Old as the hills

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Walking our labrador, Ben.

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:13 AM

We got residential as

(1) DS did not cope with transitions and we had minimal transitions written into his plan

(2) Boarding cost was less than daily taxi fare - this was the deciding factor. For the LEA, cheapest is always best.

Can you get the actual figures? Boarding = X. Taxi = Y. You are arguing over the difference in cost (X - Y).

I would also say that boarding tied DS into the special school, which was great for him while he was there.

BUT he lost touch with his local community and now he is back here for college we are having to start trying to reintegrate him again.

Do the school offer flexi-boarding? So he could stay over occasionally?

#4 queen claudia

queen claudia

Part of the furniture

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Totally loony mum to a very wonderful 12 year old with aspergers who is much more sane than me!

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

That's a good idea about the taxi fare as I think that's what swung it for us (our son is day not boarder) as there was already a boy from our village getting picked up by taxi and taken there.

It's very clear when you have these type of negotiations with County all they are interested in is how much it will cost. So if the figures add up you might have a good chance.

#5 Indigo

Indigo

Settled in nicely (I'm getting the hang of this...)

• ASDf Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for your replies. I have obtained costs from the L.a. Boarding would add 30% to their costs, taking into account the taxi saving, so on financial grounds it's a non starter.

He does struggle with transitions and can stay over occasionally as well as doing after school club if we collect him. He just enjoys the calm of school and social access (he has no friends at home and does not want to make friends). He also has the chance to develop his Independence skills as a boarder. He doesn't like being at home, says it's boring and his siblings annoying, just sits in his room. At school he is very sociable.

We are still on a statement and convert next year.

I know it will be very hard to win a boarding place and last year I did not have the energy to take this on. However my son has asked again and again for me to sort this for him! I can't see us getting anything from LA unless we appeal the statement and go to tribunal, hence looking for legal back-up

Edited by Indigo, 11 May 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#6 imperfect parent

imperfect parent

How many posts? Get a life!

• ASDf Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts
  • Interests:horse riding, reading, baking and SEN issues

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:26 AM

I would get in touch with SOS SEN and/ or IPSEA, and be very clear that he feels that this si something he needs. (want does not come into it)

Important points for me are

• he enjoys the calm of the school environment
  • he struggles with transitions
  • he is socially isolated at home

There will be more, but that's a good start on the limited info available to me.

A lot of the work done in a waking day curriculum is on independence skills and accessing the local area and amenities.  The fact that he is allowed to stay sometimes is supportive of his request to board.

Good luck

Look carefully for historical evidence of his difficulties with friends and transitioning.

Edited by imperfect parent, 12 May 2017 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users